Skip Header
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

2015 Annual Report

Previous | Contents | Next

II. Performance Results Summary


The FDIC successfully achieved 39 of the 40 annual performance targets established in its 2015 Annual Performance Plan. One target was not achieved: the issuance of a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPR) on the implementation of the Net Stable Funding Ratio, which continues to be developed on an interagency basis. There were no instances in which 2015 performance had a material adverse effect on the successful achievement of the FDIC’s mission or its strategic goals and objectives regarding its major program responsibilities.

Additional key accomplishments are noted below.

Program Area Performance Results
  • Updated the FDIC Board of Directors on loss, income, and reserve ratio projections for the Deposit Insurance Fund (DIF) at the April and October meetings.
  • Briefed the FDIC Board of Directors in April and October on progress in meeting the goals of the Restoration Plan. Based upon current fund projections, no changes to assessment rate schedules were necessary.
  • Presented an NPR to the FDIC Board of Directors in June that would refine the deposit insurance assessment system for established small banks to incorporate newer data from the recent financial crisis and revise the methodology to directly estimate the probability of failure within three years.
  • Presented an NPR to the FDIC Board of Directors in October that would implement provisions of the Dodd-Frank Act to raise the minimum reserve ratio of the DIF to 1.35 percent by September 30, 2020, and offset the effect of the increase in the minimum reserve ratio from 1.15 percent to 1.35 percent on IDIs with total consolidated assets of less than $10 billion.
  • Completed reviews of the recent accuracy of the contingent loss reserves.
  • Researched and analyzed emerging risks and trends in the banking sector, financial markets, and the overall economy to identify issues affecting the banking industry and the DIF.
  • Provided policy research and analysis to FDIC leadership in support of the implementation of financial industry regulation, as well as support for testimony and speeches.
  • Published economic and banking information and analyses through the FDIC Quarterly, FDIC Quarterly Banking Profile (QBP), FDIC State Profiles, and the Center for Financial Research Working Papers.
  • Operated the Electronic Deposit Insurance Estimator (EDIE), which had 336,703 user sessions in 2015.
Supervision and Consumer Protection
  • A total of 521 institutions were assigned a composite CAMELS rating of 2 and had Matters Requiring Board Attention (MRBAs) identified in the examination reports. To ensure that MRBAs are being appropriately addressed at these institutions, the FDIC timely reviews progress reports and follows up with bank management as needed. More specifically, within six months of issuing the examination reports, the FDIC conducted appropriate follow up and review of these MRBAs at 501 (96.2 percent) of these institutions. Follow up and review of the MRBAs at the remaining 20 institutions (3.8 percent) occurred more than six months after issuing the examination reports primarily due to delayed responses from some banks as well as the need for additional information in order to complete a full review.
  • Participated on the examinations of selected financial institutions, for which the FDIC is not the primary federal regulator, to assess risk to the DIF.
  • Implemented the strategy outlined in the work plan approved by the Advisory Committee on Economic Inclusion to support the expanded availability of Safe accounts and the responsible use of technology, to expand banking services to the underbanked.
  • Published an edition of Supervisory Insights that included information on strategic planning in an evolving earnings environment, new requirements related to investments in securitizations as a result of the Dodd-Frank Act, and recently released regulations and supervisory guidance.
Receivership Management
  • Terminated at least 75 percent of new receiverships that are not subject to loss-share agreements, structured sales, or other legal impediments, within three years of the date of failure.


Previous | Contents | Next