Financial Institution Letters
November 3, 2016
FDIC Announces a New Resource for Community Banks: Affordable Mortgage Lending Guide, Part II: State Housing Finance Agencies
The Affordable Mortgage Lending Guide, Part II (Guide), describes programs offered by State Housing Finance Agencies across the country. The Guide focuses on first-lien mortgage products, down payment and closing assistance, mortgage tax credit certificates, and homeownership education and counseling programs that can facilitate mortgage lending by insured depository institutions.
The Guide, Part I and Part II, can be downloaded from the Affordable Mortgage Lending Center.
Statement of Applicability to Institutions with Less Than $1 Billion in Assets: This Financial Institution Letter applies to all FDIC-insured institutions.
- The Affordable Mortgage Lending Guide Part II: State Housing Finance Agencies is designed as a resource for community banks to gain an overview of a variety of products, to compare different products, and to help identify the next steps for any bank seeking to expand or initiate mortgage lending. Order online at https://catalog.fdic.gov (Banking Resources).
- The Guide also can be downloaded at the Affordable Mortgage Lending Center (Center) (https://www.fdic.gov/mortgagelending), which provides easy access to all of the program information found in the Guide.
- The Guide describes State Housing Finance Agency products for single-family housing that support home purchase, down payment and closing cost assistance, mortgage tax credit certificates, as well as homeownership education and counseling programs.
- Part II provides an individual summary of each State Housing Finance Agency, listing programs offered and providing web links for easy reference by bankers doing business in that state.
- The Affordable Mortgage Lending Guide Part I: Federal Agencies and Government Sponsored Enterprises and Part II: State Housing Finance Agencies are available now. Part III: Federal Home Loan Banks will be posted to the Affordable Mortgage Lending Center later in 2016.
- Sign up online to receive notices of Center updates at https://service.govdelivery.com/accounts/USFDIC/subscriber/new
- FDIC-Insured Institutions (Commercial and Savings)
- Chief Executive Officer
- Chief CRA Officer
- Chief Lending Officer
- Sandra Kerr, Senior Community Affairs Specialist, Division of Depositor and Consumer Protection, at skerr@FDIC.gov or (202) 898-7183
- Lessie Evans, Chief, Community Affairs, Division of Depositor and Consumer Protection, at LesEvans@FDIC.gov or (202) 898-6997
FDIC Financial Institution Letters (FILs) may be accessed from the FDIC's website at https://www.fdic.gov/news/news/financial/2016/.
To receive FILs electronically, please visit https://www.fdic.gov/about/subscriptions/fil.html.
Paper copies may be obtained through the FDIC's Public Information Center, 3501 Fairfax Drive, E-1002, Arlington, VA 22226 (877-275-3342 or 703-562-2200).