Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information for Bankers and Consumers
The FDIC is working with federal and state banking agencies, as well as, financial institutions to consider all reasonable and prudent steps to assist customers in communities affected by the Coronavirus (COVID-19). In addition, the agency is monitoring information issued by international and U.S. health organizations. Regulatory agencies have encouraged financial institutions to work with customers impacted by the coronavirus. Customers experiencing difficulties beyond their control should work directly with their financial institutions.
COVID-19 Information for Small Business Lenders
The FDIC is working with the Small Business Administration (SBA) to help ensure that FDIC-supervised banks have the information they need to become certified by the SBA to make small business loans through recently launched programs under the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act. Visit Information for Small Business Lenders.
Frequently Asked Questions for those Impacted by Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19):
Information for use by bank customers:
- FDIC Consumer News: COVID-19 and Your Financial Health - April 2, 2020
- Press Release: FDIC Chairman Addresses FSOC; Underscores Banks and Deposits Remain Safe - March 26, 2020
- Press Release: FDIC: Insured Bank Deposits are Safe; Beware of Potential Scams Using the Agency's Name - March 18, 2020
- Press Release: Agencies Encourage Financial Institutions to Meet Financial Needs of Customers and Members Affected by Coronavirus - March 9, 2020
Special Event for Bankers
- Webinar scheduled for Friday, March 27, 2020 has been postponed.
Information for use by financial institutions:
- Press Release: Federal Bank Regulators Issue Interim Final Rule for Paycheck Protection Program Facility - April 9, 2020
- Financial Institution Letter: Changes to the Regulatory Capital Rule to Accommodate the Paycheck Protection Program - April 9, 2020
- Press Release: Agencies Issue Revised Interagency Statement on Loan Modifications by Financial Institutions Working with Customers Affected by the Coronavirus - April 7, 2020
- Financial Institution Letter: Revised Interagency Statement on Loan Modifications by Financial Institutions Working with Customers Affected by the Coronavirus - April 7, 2020
- Press Release: Agencies Announce Changes to the Community Bank Leverage Ratio - April 6, 2020
- Financial Institution Letter: Modifications to the Community Bank Leverage Ratio Framework - April 6, 2020
- Press Release: Federal Agencies Encourage Mortgage Servicers to Work With Struggling Homeowners Affected by COVID-19 - April 3, 2020
- Press Release: FDIC Extends Comment Period on Modernizing Brokered Deposit Restrictions - April 3, 2020
- Financial Institution Letter: FDIC Extends Comment Period Related to the Proposed Revisions to the Brokered Deposits Rules - April 3, 2020
- Financial Institution Letter: New SBA and Treasury Programs for Small Business Relief - April 2, 2020
- Press Release: Agencies Will Consider Comments on Volcker Rule Modifications Following Expiration of Comment Period - April 2, 2020
- Financial Institution Letter: Joint Statement on the Interaction of the CECL Revised Transition Interim Final Rule with Section 4014 of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act - March 31,2020
FDIC Chairman Jelena McWilliams informs bank customers about the ways the FDIC is working with banks to help during the Corona pandemic.
See more videos about what the FDIC is doing during the Corona outbreak.
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC) for Coronavirus
- USA.gov Coronavirus Website
- Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS)
- Department of Labor Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
- Business Pandemic Influenza Planning Checklist (DHSS) Checklist
- World Health Organization (WHO) Coronavirus Outbreak
- Ready.gov Pandemic Webpage
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)
- Department of Agriculture (USDA)
- Department of State Travel Advisories
- U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID)
- Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19): What do Older Adults and People with Disabilities Need to Know?
- Money Smart for Older Adults Resource Guide
Helpful FDIC Articles
- Disaster Recovery and Your Money: A Basic To-Do List (FDIC Consumer News)
- When People Face Tough Times, Crooks Try to Profit (FDIC Consumer News)