Community Affairs – Affordable Mortgage Lending Center
Affordable Mortgage Lending Guide,
Part II: State Housing Finance Agencies
The Affordable Mortgage Lending Guide, Part II: State Housing Finance Agencies focuses on the programs and products offered by each State Housing Finance Agency. We provide an overview on the types of products that State Housing Finance Agencies offer. Since each State Housing Finance Agency has different products, we provide general information on first mortgage products, down payment and closing assistance, mortgage tax credit certificates, and homeownership education and counseling programs that can facilitate mortgage lending by insured depository institutions. Many of these products can be used in conjunction with other federal and government-sponsored enterprise programs, as well as Federal Home Loan Bank products.
Because borrower and loan criteria are subject to change, and many HFAs add and eliminate programs on a regular basis, the Affordable Mortgage Lending Center provides the most recent information available. Realizing the need for accurate and timely information, the FDIC is committed to annually updating the publications through this web page. A review of Part II was completed on July 1, 2017, and the following updates were made to the publication and Quick Links: State Links for Housing Finance Agencies.
- The State Housing Finance Agency Product Matrix (page 4) includes product updates to the individual HFAs;
- Massachusetts Housing Partnership was added to the list of HFAs;
- Alternative private mortgage insurance options offered is now included on individual state sheets (see page 30 for general information about these options); and
- Of the 54 HFAs included in Part II, 40 have provided program updates (see Appendix A: State Summaries of HFA Products and Resources and Quick Links: State Links for Housing Finance Agencies for a list of states with updates.
Commonly Offered HFA Products, Programs, and Services:
- First-Lien Mortgage Products - PDF
- Down Payment and Closing Cost Assistance - PDF
- Mortgage Tax Credit Certificate (MCC) - PDF
- Homeownership Education and Counseling - PDF