Community Affairs – Affordable Mortgage Lending Center
Affordable Mortgage Lending Guide,
Part I: Federal Agencies and Government Sponsored Enterprises
The Affordable Mortgage Lending Guide, Part I describes federal programs that support home purchase, refinance, manufactured housing, and some home improvement lending by banks. It covers programs that are targeted to a variety of communities and individuals including rural, Native American, low- and moderate-income, and veterans.
Part I describes programs from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and its Federal Housing Administration (FHA), the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) rural housing programs, the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), the U.S. Treasury Department’s Community Development Financial Institutions Fund (CDFI Fund), and Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, known as Government Sponsored Enterprises (GSEs).
Because borrower and loan criteria are subject to change, the Affordable Mortgage Lending Center provides the most recent information available. Realizing the need for accurate and timely information, the FDIC is committed to regularly updating the publications through this web page. A review of Part I was completed in July 2018, and the following updates were made to the publication and Quick Links: Federal Agencies and Government Sponsored Enterprises Programs & Products. In general, all Resource links were checked and updated. In addition, the following were updated:
- Updates to the Program Matrix – PDF;
- Updates to Quick Links: Federal Agencies and Government Sponsored Enterprises Programs & Products;
- Removes FHA Refinance of Borrowers in Negative Equity Positions (Short Refinance);
- Student loan debt is updated in FHA, Fannie Mae, and Freddie Mac programs;
- Adds two new products: Fannie Mae MH Advantage™ – PDF and Freddie Mac HomeOneSM – PDF;
- Adds Duty to Serve in Fannie Mae Overview – PDF and Freddie Mac Overview – PDF; and
- Updates the following products:
- FHA Property Improvement Loan Insurance – PDF;
- FHA Manufactured Home Loan Insurance – PDF;
- FHA Streamline Refinance – PDF;
- FHA 203(k) Rehabilitation Mortgage Insurance – PDF;
- USDA Single Family Housing Guaranteed Loan Program – PDF;
- USDA Single Family Housing Direct Loans – PDF;
- Fannie Mae HomeReady™ Mortgage – PDF; and
- Fannie Mae HomeStyle® Renovation Mortgage – PDF.