The FDIC’s Financial Institution Intern Program provides high-performing college students with valuable professional experience in the financial regulatory industry. Financial Institution Interns will be able to earn a competitive salary while pursuing degrees in Accounting, Business, Economics, Finance, and other related majors.
The program provides hands-on experience evaluating bank operations, risk management strategies, and consumer protection practices. Interns will gain knowledge of evolving issues faced by the banking industry, and learn in-depth banking laws and regulatory procedures, while working with experienced FDIC professionals to ensure institutions are following safe and sound banking practices. In this unique program, participants will have an opportunity to participate in on-site bank examinations and understand supervisory proceedings. This requires team-orientated individuals with strong analytical and quantitative skills who possess the ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing.
Upon successful completion of the program, some participants may be offered full-time [post-graduation] positions as a Financial Institution Specialist in one of the FDIC’s driver divisions – Division of Risk Management Supervision or Division of Depositor and Consumer Protection.
Interns may be eligible for certain Federal employee benefits.
Applicants must possess at least a 3.0 GPA to enter the program.
Financial Institution Interns will be responsible for providing their own housing; however, a $2500 stipend (in addition to bi-weekly compensation) will be allotted at the beginning of the program.
Additionally, extensive travel, (including overnight) to remote work sites may be required. Bank examinations are conducted on-site at banks, sometimes at great distance from the office. Travel expenses are reimbursable, but individuals are responsible for providing their own transportation to bank examination sites (public transportation may not be available).
- U. S. citizenship.
- Enrolled at least half-time in a bachelor’s degree program at an accredited college or university.
- Completion of the sophomore year with a major in economics, finance and accounting.
- Successful completion of the FDIC's background investigation requirements. Moderate Risk Position - Minimum Background Investigation (MBI) Required.
- Must be registered with Selective Service (males born after Dec 31, 1959).
Applicants must possess at least a 3.0 GPA to enter the program and all interns are required to sign the FDIC Internship Program Participant Agreement.
- Internships in Albany, GA, Atlanta, GA, Columbia, SC, Hoover, AL, Montgomery, Al, Savannah, GA, Scott Depot, WV, Sunrise, FL, Tampa, FL (09/16/2020 – 12/18/2020)
- Internships in Hoover, AL and Raleigh, NC (09/16/2020 – 12/18/2020)
- Internships in Chicago, IL, Appleton, WI and Eau Claire, WI (10/07/2020 to 11/06/2020)
- Internships in Lexington, KY, Elizabethtown, KY, Chicago, IL, Princeton, IL, Springfield, IL and Mt. Vernon, IL (10/07/2020 to 11/06/2020)
- San Francisco, CA (1 position) (10/28/2020 to 11/25/2020)
- Sacramento, CA (1 position) (10/28/2020 to 11/25/2020)
- Salt Lake City, UT (1 position) (10/28/2020 to 11/25/2020)
- Phoenix, AZ (1 position) (10/28/2020 to 11/25/2020)
- San Francisco, CA (2 position) (10/28/2020 to 11/25/2020)
- Sacramento, CA (2 position) (10/28/2020 to 11/25/2020)
- Salt Lake City, UT (2 position) (10/28/2020 to 11/25/2020)
- Billings, MT (2 position) (10/28/2020 to 11/25/2020)
- Orange, CA (1 position) (10/28/2020 to 11/25/2020)
- Portland, OR (1 position) (10/28/2020 to 11/25/2020)
- Seattle, WA (1 position) (10/28/2020 to 11/25/2020)
If there are no vacancies available you may:
- Talk to a FDIC recruiter at a participating campus recruiting event or professional and diversity event to learn more about the program.
On Campus Recruiting
Professional and Diversity Events
- Contact a participating college career placement office at an FDIC targeted school or professional organization/association.
List of participating colleges and universities
List of professional organizations and associations