Economic Growth and Regulatory Paperwork Reduction Act of 1996 (EGRPRA)
The Economic Growth and Regulatory Paperwork Reduction Act of 1996 (EGRPRA) requires that regulations prescribed by the Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council, Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, and Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System be reviewed by the agencies at least once every 10 years. The purpose of this review is to identify outdated or unnecessary regulations and consider how to reduce regulatory burden on insured depository institutions while, at the same time, ensuring their safety and soundness and the safety and soundness of the financial system. The first EGRPRA review was completed and a report was submitted to Congress in 2007.
The banking agencies began the second EGRPRA review in 2014 and submitted a report to Congress on March 21, 2017. The report lays out how the review was conducted, what has been done to date to address regulatory burden, and further measures that the agencies will take to address issues that have been identified through the process.
- 2017 EGRPRA Report to Congress (ffiec.gov)
- Joint Press Release: Banking Agencies Issue Joint Report to Congress Under the EGRPRA
- Federal Register Notice (publishing 2017 EGRPRA Report to Congress) (gpo.gov)
For additional information on the agencies' EGRPRA review, please see:
FFIEC EGRPRA Website
- Press Releases
- Federal Banking Agencies Seek Comment on Interagency Effort to Reduce Regulatory Burden
- Agencies Announce Final EGRPRA Outreach Meeting in Arlington, VA
- Agencies Announce EGRPRA Outreach Meeting in Chicago
- Agencies Announce EGRPRA Outreach Meeting in Kansas City Focusing on Rural Banking Issues
August 4, 2015, at the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City. The Meeting Agenda can be found at Outreach Session Agenda - Kansas City (egrpra.ffiec.gov).
- April 6, 2015 - Agencies Announce Additional EGRPRA Outreach Meetings
- February 20, 2015 - Agencies Announce Publication of the Second Set of EGRPRA Categories for Review
- January 14, 2015 - Agencies Announce Additional EGRPRA Outreach Meetings
- June 4, 2014 - Agencies Announce Publication of the First Set of EGRPRA Categories for Review
- Federal Register Notices
- Federal Register Notice #4 (focusing on regulations covering the Rules of Procedure; Safety and Soundness; and Securities)
- Federal Register Notice (Correction to #4)
- Federal Register Notice #3 (focusing on regulations covering Consumer Protection; Directors, Officers and Employees; and Money Laundering)
- Federal Register Notice #2 (focusing on regulations covering Banking Operations; Capital; and the Community Reinvestment Act)
- Federal Register Notice #1 (focusing on regulations covering Applications and Reporting; Powers and Activities; and International Operations)
- Details, transcripts, and video of outreach meetings
- Notice of Outreach Meeting on October 19, 2015, at 9:00 a.m. Central Daylight Time (CDT)
- Notice of Outreach Meeting on August 4, 2015, at 9 a.m. Central Daylight Time (CDT)
- Notice of Outreach Meeting on May 4, 2015, at 9 a.m. Eastern Daylight Time (EDT)
- Notice of Outreach Meeting on February 4, 2015, at 9:00 a.m. Central Standard Time (CST)
- Notice of Outreach Meeting on Tuesday, December 2, 2014, at 9:00 a.m. Pacific Standard Time (PST)
PDF Help - Information on downloading and using the PDF reader.