Laws and Regulations
Key laws and regulations that pertain to FDIC-supervised institutions; note that other laws and regulations also may apply.
- Part 323 — Appraisals addresses requirements for a written appraisal for certain real estate-related transactions
- Appendix A to Part 364 — Interagency Guidelines Establishing Standards for Safety and Soundness provides operational and managerial standards for safety and soundness to include asset quality and asset growth
- Part 365 — Real Estate Lending Standards provides standards for real estate lending and addresses the adoption and maintenance of written policies for extensions of credit that are secured by real estate, or that are made for the purpose of financing permanent improvements to real estate
Frequently asked questions, advisories, statements of policy, and other information issued by the FDIC alone, or on an interagency basis, provided to promote safe-and-sound operations.
Counterparty Credit Risk
- Interagency Supervisory Guidance on Counterparty Credit Risk (CCR) Management outlines sound practices for an effective CCR management framework
- Country Risk Management Practices describes elements of an effective risk management process to mitigate country risk for institutions engaged in international activities
- Interagency Country Exposure Review Committee Process outlines how the agencies ensure consistent treatment of the transfer risk associated with banks’ foreign exposures to both public- and private-sector entities
Oil and Gas
- Prudent Risk Management of Oil and Gas Exposures provides guidance on reserve based lending, concentration management, and working with troubled borrowers for financial institutions with direct or indirect exposures
Shared National Credit
- Shared National Credit Program overview and archived findings from the interagency review of large syndicated loans
- Shared National Credit Reporting forms and instructions to be used by financial institutions that are an agent or participant in a shared national credit
- Loan Commitment Threshold for inclusion in the shared national credit program
Working with Borrowers
- Joint Statement on Additional Loan Accommodations Related to COVID-19 provides risk management and consumer protection principles to consider while working with borrowers for loans nearing the end of initial accommodation periods
- Revised Interagency Statement on Loan Modifications by Financial Institutions Working with Customers Affected by the Coronavirus encourages the activity and provides supervisory views on regulatory reporting of past due and nonaccrual loans, and troubled debt restructurings
- Frequently Asked Questions on Coronavirus Impact address a variety of issues that may arise as financial institutions work with customers and communities
Supplemental information related to safe-and-sound banking operations.
- FDIC's Supervisory Insights — Summer 2018 article, “Oil Price Volatility and Bank Performance: A View from the Supervisory Process"
- FDIC's Supervisory Insights — Fall 2019 article, “Leveraged Lending: Evolution, Growth and Heightened Risk"