Continuing IT Training Program
Mainframe Security for Examiners
Program OverviewThis course will show how to audit the MVS operating system and some of the key software associated with it, including the RACF and ACF2 and TopSecret security software, the CICS transaction manager, the DB2 database manager, and the MQ series queue manager. These are all essential components to a z/OS system.
Key ObjectivesThis course will teach a systematic approach to auditing mainframes and make practical recommendations for improvement in security for z/OS, including MVS and its associated system software. The following topics will be covered:
- How the mainframe software and security works, and how to audit it;
- Three hardware controls which form the basis of all MVS security;
- How MVS uses the hardware controls, and why IBM gave backdoors to these controls;
- How security software such as RACF, ACF2, and TopSecret work, and how they are dependent on effective MVS security;
- How CICS works and how it relies on both MVS security and security software; and
- How DB2 and MQ Series work on the mainframe and their security.
Instructional FormatFacilitated classroom discussion and lectures
Target AudienceIT Subject Matter Experts and IT Examiners, especially those who have recently completed the intermediate OJT program.
This course is open to appropriate staff of the FDIC and partner government regulatory agencies. This course is not open to the public or staff of private banks.
PrerequisitesParticipant should have attended ITEC and all Basic and Intermediate Level courses.
Post Course FeedbackNone
For more information, please contact Kathryn Shipley (703) 516-5071.