Financial Institution Letters
March 26, 2020
Identification of Essential Critical Infrastructure Workers During the COVID-19 Response Efforts
The Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) issued guidance identifying financial services sector workers as essential critical infrastructure workers during the COVID-19 response emergency. The guidance is intended to support state, local, and industry partners in identifying the critical infrastructure sectors and the essential workers needed to maintain the services and functions to operate without interruption.
Statement of Applicability to Institutions under $1 Billion in Total Assets: This Financial Institution Letter (FIL) applies to all FDIC-Supervised Financial Institutions.
- The financial services sector is identified as a Critical Infrastructure Sector by the Department of Homeland Security.
- In collaboration with other federal agencies and the private sector, CISA developed an initial list of "Essential Critical Infrastructure Workers" to help state and local officials as they work to protect their communities, while ensuring continuity of functions critical to public health and safety, as well as economic and national security.
- As state and local communities consider COVID-19-related restrictions, CISA is offering this list to assist prioritizing activities related to continuity of operations and incident response, including the appropriate movement of critical infrastructure workers within and between jurisdictions.
- A letter from company leadership explaining that the identified worker carrying the letter is a critical infrastructure worker who needs to be allowed access to their place of work, and the attached documents may assist essential critical infrastructure workers needing to travel inside restricted areas in order to support critical infrastructure.
- FDIC-supervised financial institutions and their
- service providers
- Chief Executive Officer
- Chief Information Officer
- Chief Information Security Officer
- March 24, 2020 Statement by Secretary Steven T. Mnuchin on Essential Financial Services Workers
- CISA Memorandum on Identification of Essential Critical Infrastructure Workers During COVID-19 Response
- Donald Saxinger, Chief, IT Supervision, (202) 898–3864 or DSaxinger@FDIC.gov
Paper copies of FDIC FILs may be obtained through the FDIC's Public Information Center at 3501 Fairfax Drive, E-1002, Arlington, VA 22226 (1-877-275-3342 or 703 562-2200).