Financial Institution Letters
October 16, 2018
Frequently Asked Questions
The federal banking agencies (the Agencies) are issuing the attached Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on appraisal and evaluation functions. This document was developed in response to recent questions about the agencies' real estate appraisal regulations and guidelines and replaces previous FAQs on the appraisal regulations issued in 2005.
Statement of Applicability to Institutions Under $1 Billion in Total Assets: This Financial Institution Letter applies to all FDIC-supervised institutions.
- The Agencies are issuing these FAQs in response to questions raised regarding the Agencies' appraisal regulations and guidance.
- These FAQs do not introduce new policy or guidance, but assemble previously communicated policy and interpretations.
- These FAQs should be reviewed in conjunction with the FDIC's appraisal regulations, the real estate lending standards, the Interagency Appraisal and Evaluation Guidelines, the Interagency Advisory on the Use of Evaluations in Real Estate-Related Financial Transactions, and other regulations and advisories related to appraisals and evaluations.
- The Agencies previously issued FAQs on appraisals and evaluations on March 22, 2005. With the issuance of these FAQs, the Agencies have incorporated the 2005 FAQs that remain relevant and are not directly addressed by the Interagency Appraisal and Evaluation Guidelines into these updated FAQs. The 2005 FAQs are hereby rescinded (FIL-20-2005 will be archived to inactive status).
- FDIC-Supervised Banks (Commercial and Savings)
- Chief Executive Officer
- Chief Compliance Officer
- Chief Lending Officer Appraiser
- Legal Counsel
- 12 CFR Part 323 (Appraisal Regulations)
- 12 CFR Part 365, Appendix A to Subpart A (Real Estate Lending Standards)
- FIL-82-2010, Interagency Appraisal and Evaluation Guidelines
- FIL-16-2016, Interagency Advisory on the Use of Evaluations in Real Estate-Related Financial Transactions
- Frequently Asked Questions on the Appraisal Regulations and the Interagency Appraisal and Evaluation Guidelines
- Senior Examination Specialist Beverlea S. Gardner, at Bgardner@fdic.gov or (202) 898-3640
- FDIC Office of the Ombudsman, at (877) 275-3342 or firstname.lastname@example.org
FDIC Financial Institution Letters (FILs) may be accessed from the FDIC's website at www.fdic.gov/news/news/financial/2018/.
To receive FILs electronically, please visit www.fdic.gov/about/subscriptions/fil.html.
Paper copies may be obtained through the FDIC's Public Information Center, 3501 Fairfax Drive, E-1002, Arlington, VA 22226 (877-275-3342 or 703-562-2200).