Financial Institution Letters
June 29, 2017
Proposed Revisions to the Consolidated Reports of Condition and Income (Call Report)
As the next step in an ongoing effort by the federal banking agencies to reduce data reporting and other burdens for small institutions, the agencies, as members of the Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council (FFIEC), are requesting comment on additional burden-reducing revisions and certain other reporting changes to all three versions of the Call Report. These changes include the removal or consolidation of existing data items, reductions in the reporting frequency for other data items, and increases in certain reporting thresholds. The Call Report revisions are proposed to take effect March 31, 2018. Institutions are encouraged to comment on the proposal by August 28, 2017.
Statement of Applicability to Institutions under $1 Billion in Total Assets: This Financial Institution Letter applies to all FDIC-supervised banks and savings associations, including community institutions.
- This proposal includes burden-reducing changes to the new FFIEC 051 Call Report as well as the FFIEC 041 and FFIEC 031 Call Reports. The agencies developed these proposed changes based on:
- Their evaluations of responses to a series of surveys of Call Report data users at the FFIEC member entities that is the foundation for a statutorily mandated review of all existing Call Report data items, and
- Their consideration of industry comments and feedback, including comments received on the Call Report proposal published in August 2016 and finalized in December 2016.
- Further burden-reducing Call Report changes based on the agencies' continuing review of user surveys will be proposed in a future Federal Register notice.
- The agencies' proposal also includes:
- An instructional revision aligning the method for determining the past-due status of certain loans and other assets with an accepted industry standard, and
- Revisions to several Call Report schedules to address changes in the accounting for equity securities under U.S. generally accepted accounting principles.
- Redlined copies of the FFIEC 051, FFIEC 041, and FFIEC 031 report forms showing the proposed Call Report revisions and lists detailing the data items on each version of the Call Report affected by the proposed burden-reducing changes are available on the FFIEC's website (https://www.ffiec.gov/ffiec_report_forms.htm).
- Institutions should review FIL-24-2017 and the agencies' Federal Register notice for further information about the proposed Call Report revisions as well as methods for submitting comments on the proposal.
- FDIC-Supervised Banks (Commercial and Savings) and FDIC-Supervised Savings Associations
- Chief Financial Officer
- Chief Accounting Officer
- Call Report Preparer
- FIL-24-2017, June 27, 2017, Proposed Revisions to the Consolidated Reports of Condition and Income (Call Report)
- FIL-82-2016, December 30, 2016, New Streamlined Consolidated Reports of Condition and Income (Call Report) for Eligible Small Institutions and Other Call Report Revisions
- FDIC's Data Collection and Analysis Section at 800-688-3342 or FDICInfoReq@fdic.gov
FDIC Financial Institution Letters (FILs) may be accessed from the FDIC's website at https://www.fdic.gov/news/news/financial/2017/.
To receive FILs electronically, please visit https://service.govdelivery.com/accounts/USFDIC/subscriber/new.
Paper copies may be obtained via the FDIC's Public Information Center, 3501 Fairfax Drive, E 1002, Arlington, VA 22226 (877-275-3342 or 703-562-2200).