Inactive Financial Institution Letters
May 18, 2017
Deposit Insurance Coverage Seminars
Free Nationwide Seminars for Bank Officers and Employees
The FDIC will conduct four identical live seminars on FDIC deposit insurance coverage for bank employees and bank officers between June 6, 2017, and December 4, 2017. In addition to a comprehensive overview of FDIC deposit insurance rules, the seminars now include deposit insurance coverage information for Prepaid Cards, Health Savings Accounts, 529 plan accounts and 529 Achieving a Better Life Experience (ABLE) plan accounts. The seminar presentation provides an overview of some of the most popular deposit insurance resources such as: (a) the FDIC's Electronic Deposit Insurance Estimator (EDIE), which is an interactive tool used to calculate deposit insurance coverage, (b) the FDIC's BankFind Directory that allows users to confirm if a bank is FDIC-insured, and (c) the FDIC's Financial Institution Employee's Guide to Deposit Insurance, which was developed to assist bankers to provide detailed information about deposit insurance coverage to their depositors.
In addition, the FDIC has developed three separate Deposit Insurance Coverage Seminars for bank officers and employees that are available on the FDIC's YouTube channel. Both the live and the YouTube deposit insurance coverage seminars will provide bank employees with an understanding of how to calculate deposit insurance coverage. The live seminars each provide a comprehensive overview of FDIC deposit insurance. The three YouTube seminars cover: Fundamentals of Deposit Insurance Coverage; Deposit Insurance Coverage for Revocable Trust Accounts; and Advanced Topics in Deposit Insurance Coverage.
Statement of Applicability to Institutions Under $1 Billion in Total Assets: This Financial Institution Letter applies to all FDIC-supervised institutions.
- Live seminars on deposit insurance rules for bank officers and bank employees will be conducted via Cisco WebEx conferencing software between June 6, 2017, and December 4, 2017. Each identical live seminar will last approximately 100 minutes and include a question-and-answer session with FDIC subject matter experts.
- The live seminars are free, but advance registration is required. See the attachment for registration instructions, including the specific dates and registration deadlines.
- Each of the live seminars will link to a slide presentation, and participants are strongly encouraged to have a copy of the PowerPoint slides during the audio presentation. See the attachment for accessing the slide presentation.
- Three self-study seminars on other deposit insurance issues also are available on FDIC's YouTube Channel. The topics include: (1) Fundamentals of Deposit Insurance Coverage; (2) Revocable Trust; and (3) Advanced Topics. See the attachment for instructions to access the YouTube seminars.
Continuation of FIL-18-2017
- FDIC-Insured Institutions
- Chief Executive Officer
- Head of Deposit Insurance and Branch Operations
- Chief Compliance Officer
- Training Officer
- Branch Managers
- FDIC Deposit Insurance Regulations 12 C.F.R. Part 330
- FDIC Call Center at 1-877-275-3342 Vonda Bailey, Senior Consumer Affairs Specialist, at Vbailey@FDIC.gov or (202) 898-7219
FDIC Financial Institution Letters (FILs) may be accessed from the FDIC's website at https://www.fdic.gov/news/news/financial/2017/.
To receive FILs electronically, please visit https:www.fdic.gov/about/subscriptions/fil.html.
Paper copies may be obtained through the FDIC's Public Information Center, 3501 Fairfax Drive, E- 1002, Arlington, VA 22226 (877-275-3342 or 703-562-2200)
May 18, 2017
Deposit Insurance Coverage
Free Nationwide Seminars for Bank Officers and Employees
The FDIC will conduct four identical live seminars on FDIC deposit insurance coverage for bank employees and bank officers between June 6, 2017, and December 4, 2017, via Cisco WebEx conferencing software. In addition, the FDIC developed three separate Deposit Insurance Coverage Seminars for bank officers and employees that are available on the FDIC's YouTube channel. The YouTube seminars are pre-recorded and intended to be used on a self-study basis. Both the live seminars and the YouTube sessions will provide bank employees with an understanding of how to calculate deposit insurance coverage.
The seminar topics have been structured as follows:
This seminar will offer a comprehensive overview of FDIC deposit insurance rules. The session is ideal for bank employees seeking a broad understanding of FDIC deposit insurance coverage rules. For more complex issues, this seminar will refer to the YouTube videos, as described below, for additional information. The live seminars will be followed by a question-and-answer session with FDIC subject matter experts.
The seminars are free, but advance registration is required. Upon completing the registration process, participants will receive an RSVP email confirmation. If you register, but do not receive an email confirmation, verify the email address provided and repeat the registration process.
The email confirmation will contain a "Join the meeting" link that automatically connects to the Cisco WebEx conference software and links participants to the seminar. The session will be available 20 minutes prior to the scheduled start time of each event. If this is the first time you are joining a meeting, you may need to install Cisco WebEx software before you can join the session. You must log in to join Cisco WebEx and dial into a conference call for the audio component of the presentation, including the question-and-answer session.
Registration procedures and instructions for accessing the seminar slide presentations are included in the attachment. The PowerPoint presentation is subject to change based on the adoption of any statutory, regulatory, or policy changes affecting the calculation of deposit insurance coverage.
The objective of the self-study seminars is to provide bank employees with in-depth knowledge of FDIC's deposit insurance rules needed to assist depositors in correctly determining their deposit insurance coverage.
The three self-study seminars are available on the FDIC's YouTube channel:
- "Fundamentals of Deposit Insurance Coverage" provides an overview of the rules for determining coverage for the nine most common account ownership categories. This video presentation lasts 62 minutes.
- "Deposit Insurance Coverage for Revocable Trust Accounts" focuses on the rules for informal and formal revocable trust accounts. This video presentation lasts 47 minutes.
- "Advanced Topics in Deposit Insurance Coverage" focuses on government accounts, mortgage servicing accounts, bank mergers, pass-through deposit insurance coverage as well as other deposit insurance topics. This video presentation lasts 28 minutes.
Participation in the seminars and the YouTube sessions is strictly voluntary and open to employees and officials of all FDIC-insured depository institutions.
Questions about the live seminars or the YouTube videos may be sent to: DIBankerSeminars@fdic.gov or you may call 1-877-275-3342 and ask to speak to a subject matter expert in the Deposit Insurance Section.