Inactive Financial Institution Letters
January 4, 2017
New Consolidated Reports of Condition and Income (Call Report) for Small Institutions
The Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council (FFIEC) has approved a new streamlined FFIEC 051 Call Report for eligible small institutions, which generally are institutions with domestic offices only and total assets of less than $1 billion. The implementation of this new report is part of the FFIEC's community bank Call Report burden-reduction initiative. The FFIEC also approved certain burden-reducing revisions to the existing FFIEC 031 and FFIEC 041 Call Reports. These revised Call Report requirements will take effect March 31, 2017, subject to approval by the U.S. Office of Management and Budget.
Statement of Applicability to Institutions under $1 Billion in Total Assets: This Financial Institution Letter applies to all FDIC-supervised banks and savings associations, including community institutions.
- The revisions to the Call Report requirements are the result of a proposal issued by the federal banking agencies in August 2016. Certain modifications have been made to the Call Report proposal based on the FFIEC's and the agencies' consideration of the comments received.
- The FFIEC 051 report form is a streamlined version of the FFIEC 041 report form in which certain schedules and data items have been replaced by a new supplemental schedule containing a limited number of data items. Other data items have been eliminated from or will be collected less frequently than on the FFIEC 041 Call Report.
- Eligible small institutions have the option to file either the FFIEC 051 or the FFIEC 041 Call Report. Instead of beginning to report on the FFIEC 051 as of March 31, 2017, an eligible institution may begin reporting on this new report in a subsequent quarter of 2017 or it may wait until March 31, 2018.
- A prototype of the FFIEC 051 Call Report and a redlined FFIEC 041 report form showing the changes made in creating the new FFIEC 051 will be available on the FFIEC's website at http://www.ffiec.gov/forms051.htm, as will a separate, shorter Call Report instruction book for the FFIEC 051.
- The revisions to the FFIEC 031 and FFIEC 041 Call Reports include the elimination of certain data items and new or increased reporting thresholds for other data items.
- Further burden-reducing reporting changes to the FFIEC 031, FFIEC 041, and FFIEC 051 Call Reports resulting from an ongoing statutorily mandated review of all Call Report data items will be proposed in future Federal Register notices with an anticipated implementation date of March 31, 2018.
- FDIC-Supervised Banks (Commercial and Savings) and FDIC-Supervised Savings Associations
- Chief Financial Officer
- Chief Accounting Officer
- Call Report Preparer
- FIL-82-2016, December 30, 2016, New Streamlined Consolidated Reports of Condition and Income (Call Report) for Eligible Small Institutions and Other Call Report Revisions
- FIL-55-2016, August 17, 2016, Proposed New Consolidated Reports of Condition and Income for Small Institutions
- FIL-53-2016, August 15, 2016, Proposed New Consolidated Reports of Condition and Income (Call Report) for Eligible Small Institutions and Other Proposed Call Report Revisions
- FDIC's Data Collection and Analysis Section at 800-688-3342 or FDICInfoReq@fdic.gov
FDIC Financial Institution Letters (FILs) may be accessed from the FDIC's website at https://www.fdic.gov/news/news/financial/2017/.
To receive FILs electronically, please visit https://www.fdic.gov/about/subscriptions/fil.html.
Paper copies may be obtained via the FDIC's Public Information Center, 3501 Fairfax Drive, E 1002, Arlington, VA 22226 (877-275-3342 or 703-562-2200).