Financial Institution Letters
July 19, 2016
Technical Assistance Video on Corporate Governance
As part of its Community Banking Initiative and Technical Assistance Video Program, the FDIC is announcing the release of an updated video on community bank corporate governance. The video is designed to assist community bank directors and officers in developing a sound corporate governance framework.
Statement of Applicability to Institutions with Total Assets Under $1 Billion: This Financial Institution Letter applies to all FDIC-supervised financial institutions.
- The video discusses the importance of a strong corporate governance program and the link between effective corporate governance and the ability of community banks to remain profitable, competitive, and resilient despite changing conditions.
- The video highlights some key elements to consider in developing a strong corporate governance program – understanding the bank's risk profile; establishing an appropriate risk appetite; obtaining and retaining qualified management; creating a dynamic strategic plan; developing policies and monitoring implementation; and staying informed.
- The video also addresses director roles and responsibilities, FDIC information sources, and concerns raised by the industry regarding corporate governance.
- The video is available for viewing on the FDIC's website at https://www.fdic.gov/regulations/resources/director/virtual/governance.html.
- Alternatively, FDIC-insured institutions may download the video through FDICconnect by contacting their FDICconnect coordinator.
- FDIC-Supervised Institutions
- Chief Executive Officer / Chief Operating Officer
- Pocket Guide for Directors
- Supervisory Insights, Special Corporate Governance Edition, April 2016 - PDF (PDF Help)
- Judy Gross
- Senior Policy Analyst
- (202) 898-7047
FDIC Financial Institution Letters (FILs) may be accessed from the FDIC's Web site at https://www.fdic.gov/news/news/financial/2016/.
To receive FILs electronically, please visit https://www.fdic.gov/about/subscriptions/fil.html.
Paper copies may be obtained through the FDIC's Public Information Center, 3501 Fairfax Drive, E-1002, Arlington, VA 22226 (1-877-275-3342 or 703-562-2200).