Inactive Financial Institution Letters
July 6, 2016
Consolidated Reports of Condition and Income
As part of its community bank Call Report burden-reduction initiative, the Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council (FFIEC) has approved a number of burden-reducing changes to the Consolidated Reports of Condition and Income (Call Report) as well as certain new and revised data items and instructional revisions. Subject to approval by the U.S. Office of Management and Budget, these Call Report revisions will take effect September 30, 2016, or March 31, 2017, depending on the change.
Statement of Applicability to Institutions under $1 Billion in Total Assets: This Financial Institution Letter applies to all FDIC-supervised commercial and savings banks, including community institutions. Institutions under $1 billion in total assets should benefit from the burden-reducing changes. Because of the nature of the new and revised Call Report data items, they should have a limited impact on community institutions.
- The banking agencies, under the auspices of the FFIEC, issued proposed Call Report revisions for comment in September 2015. The proposal is an element of the community bank Call Report burden-reduction initiative launched by the FFIEC in December 2014.
- As another part of this initiative, the FFIEC and the agencies have considered options for further streamlining the Call Report for community institutions. Publication of a proposal for a streamlined, less burdensome Call Report for eligible small institutions is anticipated later in 2016.
- After considering the comments received on the September 2015 proposal, the FFIEC and the agencies are implementing most of the proposed revisions, with some modifications.
- The Call Report revisions approved by the FFIEC include:
- Deletions of certain existing data items in five schedules;
- Increases in existing reporting thresholds and the establishment of a new threshold for certain data items in six Call Report schedules;
- Instructional revisions pertaining to the reporting of gains (losses) on certain equity securities and the custodial bank deduction for assessment purposes; and
- New and revised data items and information, some of which are of limited applicability. These revisions involve Chief Executive Officer contact information, the Legal Entity Identifier, preprinted captions for itemizing components of certain data items, extraordinary items, time deposit data, external auditing programs, fair value option loans, trading revenue, "dually payable" deposits in foreign branches, and supplementary leverage ratio data.
- Institutions should review FIL-44-2016 for further information about the Call Report revisions taking effect in September 2016 and March 2017.
- FDIC-Supervised Banks (Commercial and Savings) and FDIC-Supervised Savings Associations
- Chief Financial Officer
- Chief Accounting Officer
- Call Report Preparer
- FIL-44-2016, July 1, 2016, Revisions to the Consolidated Reports of Condition and Income (Call Report)
- FIL-39-2015, September 18, 2015, Proposed Revisions to the Consolidated Reports of Condition and Income (Call Report)
- FIL-40-2015, September 22, 2015, Consolidated Reports of Condition and Income
- FDIC's Data Collection and Analysis Section at 800-688-3342 or firstname.lastname@example.org
FDIC Financial Institution Letters (FILs) may be accessed from the FDIC's website at https://www.fdic.gov/news/news/financial/2016/.
To receive FILs electronically, please visit https://www.fdic.gov/about/subscriptions/fil.html.
Paper copies may be obtained via the FDIC's Public Information Center, 3501 Fairfax Drive, E 1002, Arlington, VA 22226 (877-275-3342 or 703-562-2200).