Financial Institution Letters
April 5, 2016
Supervisory Insights Journal
Special Corporate Governance Edition Now Available
The Special Corporate Governance Edition of Supervisory Insights is a review and commentary on the Pocket Guide for Directors, which is a set of common-sense principles that describe the responsibilities and duties of a bank's board of directors -- a framework for corporate governance that applies to any financial institution. This edition is available at http://www.fdic.gov/regulations/examinations/supervisory/insights/sise16/SI_SE2016.pdf.
Statement of Applicability to Institutions with Total Assets under $1 Billion: The information contained in this edition of Supervisory Insights may be of general interest to FDIC-supervised financial institutions, but it is not supervisory guidance.
- "A Community Bank Director's Guide to Corporate Governance: 21st Century Reflections on the FDIC Pocket Guide for Directors" is intended as a commentary and review of the Pocket Guide and incorporates more recent guidance and technical resources.
- The Pocket Guide, first issued in 1988, remains unchanged because the basic responsibilities of bank directors are timeless. However, all bank directors will benefit from remaining up-to-date on the corporate governance lessons and experiences of other bankers and bank supervisors.
- This special edition highlights key governance concepts, roles, and responsibilities of directors and senior management, and discusses how FDIC examiners evaluate governance at community banks. A list of resources, with links to regulations, guidance and training materials, is included to help community bank directors fulfill their duties.
- Suggestions for article topics and requests for permission to reprint articles should be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Requests for print copies should be e-mailed to email@example.com.
- FDIC-supervised Institutions
- Chief Executive Officer
- Compliance Officer
- Corporate Governance
- Pocket Guide for Directors
- Kim E. Lowry, Managing Editor
- (firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-898-6635)
FDIC Financial Institution Letters (FILs) are available on the FDIC's Web site at www.fdic.gov/news/news/financial/2016/index.html.
To receive FILs electronically, visit http://www.fdic.gov/about/subscriptions/fil.html.
Paper copies may be obtained through the FDIC's Public Information Center, 3501 Fairfax Drive, E-1002, Arlington, VA 22226 (1-877-275-3342 or 703-562-2200).