Financial Institution Letters
October 23, 2015
Cybersecurity Awareness Month – Industry Teleconference
President Obama designated October as National Cybersecurity Awareness Month to raise awareness of both threats to the technologies that have become part of our everyday lives and the need to proactively defend our digital landscape. In recognition of this important designation, the FDIC is hosting an informational call for FDIC-supervised institutions on October 28, 2015.
Statement of Applicability to Institutions with Less than $1 Billion in Total Assets: This Financial Institution Letter (FIL) is applicable to all FDIC-supervised institutions.
- Cybersecurity is one of the most significant issues facing the financial services sector. The volume and level of sophistication of security incidents continues to rise. It is important that financial institutions and their technology service providers continue to enhance and refocus efforts to address cyber risk.
- The financial industry supervisory agencies have improved coordination and information sharing, raised awareness of best practices and current threats, and provided a standard tool for assessing cybersecurity readiness.
- The FDIC is hosting a teleconference on October 28, 2015, at 2:00 p.m. (EDT) to address and discuss the FDIC's regulatory expectations regarding cybersecurity preparedness and allow industry participants to submit or ask questions. The teleconference will include responses to frequently asked questions received by the FDIC regarding the recently released Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council (FFIEC) Cybersecurity Assessment Tool and the FDIC Cybersecurity Awareness outreach program.
- To participate in this industry call please dial (888) 324-3183, and when prompted enter participant code 6337854.
- In advance of the call, please feel free to submit questions you would like addressed to CybersecurityRiskAsm@FDIC.gov.
- FDIC-Supervised Banks (Commercial and Savings)
- Chief Executive Officer
- Chief Information Officer
- Chief Information Security Officer
- FFIEC Cybersecurity Resources
- FFIEC Cybersecurity Brochure
- FFIEC Cybersecurity Assessment General Observations
- Mark Moylan, Deputy Director, at email@example.com or (703) 254-0867.
FDIC financial institution letters (FILs) may be accessed from the FDIC's website at https://www.fdic.gov/news/news/financial/2015/
To receive FILs electronically, please visit https://www.fdic.gov/about/subscriptions/fil.html.
Paper copies of FDIC financial institution letters may be obtained through the FDIC's Public Information Center, 3501 Fairfax Drive, E-1002, Arlington, VA 22226 (1-877-275-3342 or 703-562-2200).