- The federal banking agencies have amended their CRA regulations to publish an increase in the
asset-size threshold to be used to define "small bank" and "intermediate small bank." The increase
is based on the annual percentage change in the Consumer Price Index (CPI).
- As a result of the 2.21 percent increase in the CPI for the period ending in November 2010, the
definitions of small and intermediate small banks for CRA examinations have changed as follows:
- "Small bank" or "small savings association" means a bank that, as of December 31 of either of
the prior two calendar years, had assets of less than $1.122 billion.
- "Intermediate small bank" or "intermediate small savings association" means a small bank with
assets of at least $280 million as of December 31 of both of the prior two calendar years, and
less than $1.122 billion as of December 31 of either of the prior two calendar years.
- These asset-size threshold adjustments will take effect on January 1, 2011.
- The FDIC estimates that approximately 25 banks will be affected. However, banks at the margins
should review their status to determine if they have moved into the intermediate small bank or large
bank category because of growth or due to the threshold change.
- Current and historical asset-size thresholds are published on the Federal Financial Institutions
Examination Council' Web site at www.ffiec.gov/cra/.
FDIC-Supervised Banks (Commercial
Chief Executive Officers
Community Reinvestment Act
Joint Final Rule
Janet Gordon, Senior Policy
Analyst, Compliance Policy Section, email@example.com or
(202) 898-3850; or Susan van den Toorn, Counsel, firstname.lastname@example.org or (202) 898-8707
FDIC financial institution letters
(FILs) may be accessed from the FDIC's Web site at www.fdic.gov/news/news/financial/2010/index.html.
To receive FILs electronically, please visit http://www.fdic.gov/about/subscriptions/fil.html.
Paper copies of FDIC financial institution letters may be obtained through the FDIC's Public
Information Center, 3501 Fairfax Drive, E-1002, Arlington, VA 22226 (1-877-275-3342 or