- The Department of the Treasury's Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN) distributes a "314(a)" list of suspects to financial institutions every two weeks. Section 314(a) of the USA PATRIOT Act requires banks to search their records for information about suspects on the list for law enforcement.
- The 314(a) subject list is currently distributed by e-mail or faxed to financial institution points of contact (POCs).
- FinCEN plans to introduce a new Web-based 314(a) delivery and reporting system available on a secure Web site operated by FinCEN. By accessing the Web site, POCs will be able to locate the current 314(a) subject lists and download the files in various formats for searching.
- POCs will also be able to use this Internet site to return positive and inconclusive hits to FinCEN.
- FinCEN is testing this Web-based system through a pilot program. POCs may receive an e-mail from FinCEN requesting their participation in the pilot; participation in the testing phase is not mandatory.
- The test period runs through February, with the new system expected to replace the current system in March 2005.
- Banks receiving the 314(a) search list by fax will continue to receive the list by fax.
- Please distribute this information to the appropriate personnel in your institution. For further information, please contact FinCEN's Regulatory Help Line at 1-800-949-2732 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
FDIC-Supervised Banks (Commercial and Savings)
Chief Executive Officer
BSA Compliance Officer
Section 314(a) Search Requests
Senior Program Analyst Charles Collier at SASFIL@FDIC.gov or (202) 898-3673
FIL-3-2005 - PDF 45k (PDF Help)
FDIC Financial Institution Letters (FILs) may be accessed from the FDIC's Web site at www.fdic.gov/news/news/financial/2005/index.html.
To receive FILs electronically, please visit http://www.fdic.gov/about/subscriptions/fil.html.
Paper copies of FDIC FILs may be obtained through the FDIC's Public Information Center, 801 17th Street, NW, Room 100, Washington, DC 20434 (1-877-275-3342 or (703) 562-2200).