- The attached interagency advisory is intended to raise awareness about the threat of a pandemic influenza outbreak and its potential impact on the delivery of critical financial services.
- On November 1, 2005, the White House issued the National Strategy for Pandemic Influenza, which discusses the threat and potential impact of a pandemic influenza outbreak and outlines financial institutions' roles and responsibilities should an outbreak occur.
- The current threat originates from an outbreak of avian flu in Asia. It is unknown whether an avian virus will result in a human pandemic. The widespread nature of this virus in birds and the possibility that it may mutate over time raise concerns that it will become transmissible among humans, with potentially devastating consequences.
- Financial institutions should consider this potential pandemic (and similar threats) in their event response and contingency strategies.
- Please distribute this information to the appropriate personnel in your institution.
FDIC-Supervised Banks (Commercial and Savings)
Chief Executive Officer
Information Security Officer
Business Continuity Planning
Interagency Advisory on Influenza Pandemic Preparedness
Senior Technology Specialist Aurelia Cardamone at firstname.lastname@example.org or (202) 898-8541.
FIL-25-2006 - PDF 34k (PDF Help)
FDIC Financial Institution Letters (FILs) may be accessed from the FDIC's Web site at www.fdic.gov/news/news/financial/2006/index.html.
To receive FILs electronically, please visit http://www.fdic.gov/about/subscriptions/fil.html.
Paper copies of FDIC FILs may be obtained through the FDIC's Public Information Center (1-877-275-3342 or 703-562-2200).