Information for Consumers and Bankers in the Affected Areas
The FDIC is working cooperatively with all of the state, territory, and federal banking agencies and other organizations to determine the status of financial institutions located in the affected areas. If you have questions concerning the operations of your financial institution, please call your financial institution or visit your financial institution's web site. General preparedness information and state specific information may be obtained through the following web sites.
FDIC Information for Banks
- Press Release: Federal and State Financial Regulatory Agencies Issue Interagency Statement on Supervisory Practices Regarding Financial Institutions Affected by Hurricanes Fiona and Ian
- Financial Institution Letter: Guidance to Help Financial Institutions and Facilitate Recovery in Areas of Puerto Rico Affected by Hurricane Fiona
- Lessons Learned From Hurricane Katrina: Preparing Your Institution for a Catastrophic Event
FDIC Information for Consumers
Consumers and business owners experiencing difficulties beyond their control should actively reach out to and work with their financial institutions. Search BankFind for bank branch locations and websites.
The FDIC has published several articles that may be helpful:
- Preparing Your Finances for a Flood, Fire or Other Disaster: Having a Plan (FDIC Consumer News)
- Disaster Recovery and Your Money: A Basic To-Do List (FDIC Consumer News)
- When People Face Tough Times, Crooks Try to Profit (FDIC Consumer News)
- Beware, It’s a Scam! (FDIC Consumer News)
- Cybersecurity (FDIC Consumer News)
- Avoiding Scams and Scammers (FDIC Consumer News)
Government-wide information related to Hurricane Fiona. - https://www.usa.gov/disasters-and-emergencies
Valuable information on developing personal preparedness plans as well as hurricane safety tips. - www.ready.gov
This website contains links to popular pages for monitoring Fiona's progress, disaster survivor assistance and how to apply for assistance in the event you are impacted by the storm. You can also follow FEMA on Twitter and Facebook.
Federal Communications Commission (FCC) - https://www.fcc.gov/fiona
Federal Trade Commission (FTC) – https://www.ftc.gov
- Consumer Alert: Avoid scams in the aftermath of Merbok, Fiona and Ian
Red Cross - https://www.redcross.org/
The Red Cross site contains information on how to donate and volunteer to provide disaster assistance. Also, the "Get Help" tab provides information on shelter locations, disaster recovery guidelines, and the "Contact Loved Ones" registry.
- News and Events: Red Cross Still Helping in Puerto Rico
Social Security Administration - https://www.ssa.gov/agency/emergency/#P
This site provides information on Social Security office closures, safety preparedness, signing up for direct deposit, and more.