Deposit Insurance Historical Reference MaterialsAll listings on this page are historical references to Deposit Insurance.
- A Brief History of Deposit Insurance
- Deposit Insurance: An Annotated Bibliography 1989-1999
- Deposit Insurance: An Annotated Bibliography Update: 2000-2003 - PDF
- Strengthening Financial Risk Management at the FDIC (2003) - PDF
Roundtable on Deposit Insurance, April 25, 2000
Testimonies and Speeches
- Remarks by Sheila C. Bair, Chairman, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation; Before the New York Bankers Association; Washington, D.C. July 19, 2006.
- Statement of Acting Chairman Gruenberg on the passage of deposit insurance reform legislation February 1, 2006
- Statement of Donald E. Powell Chairman Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation on Deposit Insurance Reform Before the Subcommittee on Financial Institutions and Consumer Credit of the Committee on Financial Services U.S. House of Representatives March 17, 2005
- Chairman Powell's testimony on deposit insurance reform to the House March 4, 2003
- Chairman Powell's testimony on deposit insurance reform to the Senate February 26, 2003
- Chairman Powell's testimony on deposit insurance reform to the Senate April 23, 2002
- FDIC Chairman Tanoue speaks before the Annual Convention Of the Independent Community Bankers of America March 7, 2000
Additional Articles on Pricing Deposit Insurance
- Options for Pricing Federal Deposit Insurance
FDIC Banking Review, Vol 15, No 4, December 2003
- Reform of Deposit Insurance: State of the Debate
FDIC Banking Review, December 1999
- Recommendations for Deposit Insurance Reform, April 2001 - PDF
On April 5, the FDIC issued recommendations for strengthening the deposit insurance system, including merging the Bank Insurance Fund (BIF) and the Savings Association Insurance Fund (SAIF), and adopting a more risk-based system for charging insurance premiums.
- Household Survey on Deposit Insurance Awareness, April 2001 - PDF
A report on responses to a survey by the Gallup Organization in November - December 2000.
- Reform of Deposit Insurance: A Report to the FDIC, March 2001
A paper that reviews the basic principles undergirding deposit insurance, that summarizes the perceived problems with deposit insurance today, and that outlines an approach to reforming deposit insurance.
- Options Paper, August 2000 - PDF
The FDIC has issued an Options Paper that summarizes alternatives for pricing, funding, and coverage of deposit insurance.