CRA Statute & Tools
CRA requires the FDIC to assess an institution's record of helping to meet the credit needs of the local communities in which the institution is chartered. Below are links that will allow you to review the Act, find a bank's current CRA rating and Public Disclosure, review lists of upcoming CRA examinations and pending applications (decisions), and access resources with bank demographic and financial information.
Interagency Notice of Proposed Changes to the Community Reinvestment Act
The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, and the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System are requesting comment on a joint Notice of Proposed Rulemaking on the Community Reinvestment Act. The NPR is intended to strengthen and modernize the rule that implements the CRA by:
- Expanding access to credit, investment, and basic banking services in low– and moderate–income (LMI) communities, which are CRA’s core goals;
- Adapting to changes in the banking industry, including mobile and internet banking by modernizing assessment areas while maintaining a focus on branch–based areas;
- Providing greater clarity, consistency, and transparency in the application of the regulations through the use of standardized metrics as part of CRA evaluation and clarifying eligible CRA activities focused on LMI communities and under–served rural communities;
- Tailoring CRA rules and data collection to bank size and business model; and
- Maintaining a unified approach among the regulators.
More resources about the proposed changes
- Issued version (PDF)
- FIL-18-2022 - Joint Proposal to Strengthen and Modernize Community Reinvestment Act Regulations (May 5, 2022)
- PR-39-2022 - Agencies Issue Joint Proposal to Strengthen and Modernize Community Reinvestment Act Regulations (May 5, 2022)
- Fact Sheet on Proposed Rule
- Evaluating a Large or Intermediate Bank’s Retail Lending Test Performance (PDF Infographic)
- Modernizing the Community Reinvestment Act: Ensuring Banks Meet the Credit Needs of Their Communities (Video)
Statements from the Chairman about the proposed changes
- Statement by Martin J. Gruenberg, Acting Chairman, FDIC Notice of Proposed Rulemaking on Community Reinvestment Act Regulations, (May 5, 2022)
- Remarks by FDIC Acting Chairman Martin Gruenberg to the National Community Reinvestment Coalition (NCRC), (June 13, 2022)
Comment submission closed on August 5, 2022. You can view the comments on the proposed changes to the Community Reinvestment Act on Regulations.gov.
Make a Comment
- Preamble to the Regulation
- FDIC's Rules and Regulations, Part 345
- FFIEC CRA Q&A's (July 2016) - PDF (gpo.gov)
- Joint Final Rule (2005)
- CRA Sunshine Requirements
- CRA Strategic Plan Guidelines
- CRA Limited Purpose, Strategic Plan, and Wholesale Institutions
- Joint Statement on CRA Consideration for Activities in Response to the COVID-19 - PDF
- Community Affairs
- Strategies to Develop Partnerships with Community Development Financial Institutions - PDF
- Minority Depository Institutions Program
Technical Assistance Video Program
The Community Reinvestment Act
This presentation provides an overview of the Community Reinvestment Act (CRA), and is designed to provide bank directors with foundational knowledge regarding CRA. Topics include the purpose of CRA, different CRA evaluation types, how to comply, and practical ideas to assist banks in helping to meet the credit needs of their assessment areas.
FDIC YouTube Channel: Directors’ College Video Series Presentation – The Community Reinvestment Act
FDIC YouTube Videos: Mortgage Rule Videos
If you have any questions about this presentation on The Community Reinvestment Act, send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.