Laws and Regulations
Key laws and regulations that pertain to FDIC-supervised institutions; note that other laws and regulations also may apply.
- Appendix A to Part 364 — Interagency Guidelines Establishing Standards for Safety and Soundness provides operational and managerial standards for safety and soundness to include interest rate risk
Frequently asked questions, advisories, statements of policy, and other information issued by the FDIC alone, or on an interagency basis, provided to promote safe-and-sound operations.
- Joint Agency Policy Statement on Interest Rate Risk provides information on sound interest rate risk management practices
- Financial Institution Management of Interest Rate Risk clarifies and reinforces risk management practices outlined in the Joint Agency Policy Statement on Interest Rate Risk
- Frequently Asked Questions address exposure measurement and reporting, model risk management, stress testing, assumption development, and model and systems validation
- Supervisory Policy Statement on Investment Securities and End-User Derivatives Activities provides guidance on risk management processes to include policies, risk limits, reporting of risk exposures, and a system of internal controls
- Managing Sensitivity to Market Risk in a Challenging Interest Rate Environment re-emphasizes the importance of developing a comprehensive asset-liability and interest rate risk management program
- Section 7.1 — Sensitivity to Market Risk of the Risk Management Manual of Examination Policies discusses the various types of market risk, a risk management framework, and examination processes and rating criteria used for safety and soundness examinations
Supplemental information related to safe-and-sound banking operations
- FDIC’s Supervisory Insights — Winter 2014 is focused on interest rate risk and includes articles on effective governance processes, developing key assumptions for analysis, creating an independent review system, and what to expect during an interest rate risk review
- FDIC’s Supervisory Insights — Winter 2013 article, “Industry Trends Highlight Importance of Effective Interest-Rate Risk Management”
- Interest Rate Risk in the Banking Book issued by the Basel Committee on Banking Supervision provides standards for internationally-active institutions
Informational videos and recordings of prior webcasts and teleconferences.
- The FDIC's Technical Assistance Video program includes an overview of the interest rate risk management process and the board's responsibilities within that process. The videos are designed for community bank management and individuals who are involved in the interest rate risk management function.