Predatory Lending Resources
The FDIC addresses the problem of predatory lending by taking supervisory action, by encouraging and assisting banks to serve all sectors of their community, and by providing consumers with information to help make informed financial decisions. The following guidance and information should be consulted for additional details about matters discussed in the FDIC's January 22, 2007, Supervisory Policy on Predatory Lending.
- Interagency Guidance on Nontraditional Mortgage Product Risks, and Addendum to Credit Risk Management Guidance for Home Equity Lending FIL-89-2006, October 5, 2006.
- Home Equity Lending Credit Risk Management Guidance FIL-45-2005, May 24, 2005.
- Payday Lending Programs Revised Examination Guidance FIL-14-2005, March 1, 2005.
- Overdraft Protection Programs Joint Agency Guidance FIL-11-2005, February 18, 2005.
- Unfair or Deceptive Acts or Practices Under Section 5 of the Federal Trade Commission Act FIL-26-2004, March 11, 2004.
- Unfair or Deceptive Acts or Practices: Applicability of the Federal Trade Commission Act FIL-57-2002, May 30, 2002.
- Expanded Guidance for Evaluationg Subprime Lending Programs FIL-9-2001, January 31, 2001.
- Uniform Retail Credit Classification and Account Management Policy FIL-40-2000, June 29, 2000.
- Mortgage Loan Prequalifications FIL-35-96 (revised), July 3, 1996.
- Credit Practices Rule/Regulation AA, 12 C.F.R. § 227.
- Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, 15 U.S.C. § 1692 et seq.
- FTC Rule on Preservation of Consumer Claims and Defenses, 16 C.F.R. § 433.
- Interagency Fair Lending Examination Procedures - PDF 927kb (PDF Help), August 2009.
Community Reinvestment/Community Affairs
- Community Reinvestment Act Statute (12 U.S.C. Part 30), Regulation, (12 C.F.R. Part 345) and Tools.
- CRA Interagency Questions and Answers
- FDIC Community Affairs Program
- FDIC Consumer Resources
- FDIC Consumer News
FDIC Consumer Response Center
Hours of Operation: 7:00 am to 7:00 pm Eastern Time M-F Toll Free Number: 1- 877-275-3342 (1-877-275-ASK-FDIC) Mailing Address: Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation
Consumer Response Center
1100 Walnut St, Box #11
Kansas City, MO 64106
To File Complaint: FDIC's Electronic Customer Assistance Form
- Money Smart - financial education program information.
- Money Smart computer-based instruction (English or Spanish).