WASHINGTON—The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) today announced the agency’s Minority Depository Institutions (MDI) Subcommittee to the Advisory Committee on Community Banking will hold an open meeting at 1 p.m. EDT on Monday, April 12, 2021.
During the public portion of the meeting, the MDI Subcommittee members will share insights into key challenges and opportunities facing their communities and financial institutions. During the MDI Spotlight feature, Robert James II, Director of Strategic Initiatives and Board Member of Carver State Bank in Savannah, Georgia, will discuss collaboration best practices by a group of Black MDIs that came together to syndicate a $35 million loan to refinance the Atlanta Hawks Emory Sports Medicine Complex.
Following the public meeting, MDI Subcommittee members will provide feedback on the FDIC’s strategies to preserve and promote MDIs. Topics include the U.S. Department of the Treasury’s new Emergency Capital Investment Program.
FDIC Chairman Jelena McWilliams established the MDI Subcommittee to provide a platform for minority banks to build partnerships, to share best practices, and to highlight the work of MDIs in their communities. Read more about the FDIC’s efforts to preserve and promote MDIs.
MDI Subcommittee members are:
- Deron Burr, President and CEO, People's Bank of Seneca, Seneca, Missouri
- Kyle Chavis, Chief Executive Officer and Chief Credit Officer, Lumbee Guaranty Bank, Pembroke, North Carolina
- Warren Huang, General Counsel, Amerasia Bank, Flushing, New York
- Jesse Kung, President and CEO, Evertrust Bank, Pasadena, California
- Benjamin J.B. Lin, President and CEO, Pacific Alliance Bank, Rosemead, California
- Gilbert Narvaez, Jr., President and CEO, Falcon International Bank, Laredo, Texas
- Alden J. McDonald, Jr., President and CEO, Liberty Bank and Trust, Co., New Orleans, Louisiana
- Angel Reyes, President, Centinel Bank of Taos, Taos, New Mexico
- James H. Sills, III, President and CEO, M&F Bank, Durham, North Carolina
The MDI Subcommittee meeting will be Webcast live at 1:00 p.m. EDT via http://fdic.windrosemedia.com. Those who require auxiliary aids (e.g., sign language interpretation) for this meeting should call 703-562-2404 (Voice) or 703-649-4354 (Video Phone).
The open meeting will also be made available on-demand approximately two weeks after the event. View archived meetings here.