- On July 12, 2006, the Department of the Treasury's Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN) issued a final rule designating VEF Banka, Riga, Latvia, to be a financial institution of "primary money laundering concern" under Section 311 of the USA PATRIOT Act.
- The final rule includes a special measure that prohibits or imposes conditions upon the opening or maintaining of correspondent or payable-through accounts in the U.S. for, or on behalf of, VEF Banka.
- This prohibition extends to correspondent or payable-through accounts maintained for other foreign banks when such accounts are used by the foreign bank to provide financial services to VEF Banka indirectly.
- The final rule will be effective August 14, 2006.
- Please distribute this information to the appropriate personnel in your institution.
FDIC-Supervised Banks (Commercial and Savings)
Chief Executive Officer
BSA Compliance Officer
Bank Secrecy Act
Final Rule - PDF 84k (PDF
Review Examiner Debra L. Novak at
SASFIL@FDIC.gov or (202) 898-3673
FIL-66-2006 - PDF 36k (PDF Help)
FDIC Financial Institution Letters (FILs) may be accessed from the FDIC's Web site at www.fdic.gov/news/news/financial/2006/index.html.
To receive FILs electronically, please visit http://www.fdic.gov/about/subscriptions/fil.html.
Paper copies of FDIC financial institution letters may be obtained through the FDIC's Public Information Center, 3501 North Fairfax Drive, Room E-1002, Arlington, VA 22226 (1-877-275-3342 or 703-562-2200).