The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation issued a Request for Information (RFI) seeking information and comments regarding insured depository institutions’ (IDIs’) current and potential digital assets activities.
Statement of Applicability: This Financial Institution Letter (FIL) applies to all FDIC-supervised financial institutions
- The FDIC is gathering information and soliciting comments regarding IDIs’ current and potential digital asset use cases involving IDIs and their affiliates.
- Banks are increasingly exploring several roles in the emerging digital asset ecosystem, and consumers are beginning to seek access to digital assets products and services, such as being custodians, reserve holders, issuers, and exchange or redemption agents; performing node functions; and holding digital asset issuers’ money deposits.
- The FDIC recognizes there are novel and unique considerations related to digital assets. This RFI is intended to help inform the FDIC’s understanding and any potential policymaking in this area.
- The FDIC requests that comments be submitted by July 16, 2021.
- Part 362 of the FDIC’s Rules and Regulations may apply to certain digital asset activities or investments. FDIC-supervised institutions are encouraged to engage in discussions with FDIC supervisors, as appropriate, before engaging in such activities or investments.
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Risk Officer
Chief Technology Officer
12 C.F.R. Part 362, subpart A