FDIC and IRS Host a Nationwide Webinar to Discuss Economic Impact Payments and Promote Access to Affordable Bank Accounts
The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) presented an information session to encourage intermediary organizations to assist individuals that still have not received their Economic Impact Payments (EIP) authorized by the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act) before October 15, 2020. IRS speakers shared information about the EIP process. The FDIC highlighted opportunities to expand the availability and usage of low-cost transaction accounts tailored to meet the needs of unbanked individuals to get their EIP securely. See links to various resources further below.
- Karen Brehmer, Stakeholder Liaison, IRS
- Jody Stamback, Senior Stakeholder Liaison, IRS
- Elizabeth Ortiz, Deputy Director, FDIC
- Mary Duron, Community Affairs Specialist, FDIC
- Jeffrey Manning, Community Affairs Specialist, FDIC
Wednesday, September 23, 2020 from 2:00 PM to 3:00 PM EDT
Webinar, registration information below.
Who should attend:
Financial Institutions, AEI members, CDFIs, Non-Profit Organizations, Community-Based Organizations, State and Local Government, and other stakeholders throughout the U.S. interested in supporting LMI individuals and families experiencing economic challenges as a result of the pandemic.
To register online, click Register and fill out the needed information. You will receive a confirmation email once completed.
If you have any questions about the event, please email Amanda Thomas-Wilson at email@example.com.
- IRS Economic Impact Payment Information Center (irs.gov): Includes links to EIP eligibility, FAQs; how to request, calculate and receive EIPs, quick links to Non-Filers tool and other resources updated frequently.
- IRS Economic Impact Payments: Partner and Promotional Materials (irs.gov): Includes E-Posters, Toolkits, News Releases, Ready-to-use Articles, Videos, Social Media and Additional resources.
- Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) (irs.gov): Free tax preparation and tax counseling program.
- IRS Press Release IR-2020-214 (Sep. 17, 2020) (irs.gov): State-by-state breakdown of 9 million non-filers who still have not received their Economic Impact Payments.
- CFPB Economic Impact Payment Guide (consumerfinance.gov) for intermediaries : This 30-page guide is to assist intermediary organizations help their clients to get their EIPs before Oct. 15, 2020 with step-by-step and troubleshooting resources.
- FDIC Consumer News: COVID-19 Special Edition: FDIC Consumer News provide practical guidance on how to become a smarter, safer user of financial services. Articles offer hints, tips and strategies to protect and stretch your money. It is a great publication for all FDIC partners.
- FDIC Economic Impact Payments Webpage: Has a video on how to open a bank account, links to organizations that have compiled lists of banks offering accounts that can be opened online, a checklist on how to choose a bank account, and other resources.