Financial Institution Letters
April 19, 2019
Consolidated Reports of Condition and Income
The Consolidated Reports of Condition and Income (Call Report) for the March 31, 2019, report date must be submitted to the agencies' Central Data Repository (CDR) by Tuesday, April 30, 2019. Certain institutions with foreign offices have an additional five calendar days to file their reports. The Call Report for this quarter includes revisions that primarily address changes in the accounting for credit losses under the Financial Accounting Standards Board's Accounting Standards Update No. 2016-13 (ASU 2016-13).
Statement of Applicability to Institutions With Total Assets Under $1 Billion: This Financial Institution Letter applies to all FDIC-supervised banks and savings associations, including community institutions.
- The Call Report forms for first quarter 2019 are available on the Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council's (FFIEC) website at https://www.ffiec.gov/ffiec_report_forms.htm and the FDIC's website at www.fdic.gov/callreports.
- The agencies are revising several Call Report schedules this quarter in response to the new accounting standard on credit losses. The changes to the Call Report also implement the agencies' recent revisions to the regulatory capital rules, which include a regulatory capital transition for the effects of the initial adoption of the current expected credit losses methodology in ASU 2016-13.
- Because ASU 2016-13 has different effective dates for different institutions and permits early adoption in 2019, the changes to the Call Report related to credit losses will be phased in between March 31, 2019, and December 31, 2022.
- Separate updates to the instruction book for the FFIEC 051 Call Report and the instruction book for the FFIEC 031 and FFIEC 041 Call Reports for first quarter 2019 soon will be available on the FFIEC's and the FDIC's websites.
- Eligible small institutions, generally those with domestic offices only and total assets less than $1 billion as of June 30, 2018, have the option to file the FFIEC 051 or the FFIEC 041 Call Report as of the March 31, 2019, report date. Such institutions are expected to file the same report form, either the FFIEC 051 or the FFIEC 041, for each quarterly report date during 2019.
- Institutions should review FIL-21-2019 and the accompanying Supplemental Instructions for further information on the first quarter 2019 Call Report.
- The agencies are continuing to consider the comments received on a proposal to reduce reporting for certain institutions with less than $5 billion in total assets in the Call Report (see FIL 74-2018, dated November 19, 2018). The proposal includes revisions to the FFIEC 051 reporting requirements that, if finalized, would take effect no earlier than September 30, 2019.
- This FIL expires one year after issuance.
- FDIC-Supervised Institutions
- Chief Financial Officer
- Chief Accounting Officer
- Call Report Preparer
- FDIC's Data Collection and Analysis Section at 800-688-3342 or FDICInfoReq@fdic.gov
FDIC Financial Institution Letters (FILs) may be accessed from the FDIC's website at www.fdic.gov/news/news/financial/index.html.
To receive FILs electronically, please visit www.fdic.gov/about/subscriptions/fil.html.
Paper copies may be obtained via the FDIC's Public Information Center, 3501 Fairfax Drive, E 1002, Arlington, VA 22226 (877-275-3342 or 703-562-2200).