Inactive Financial Institution Letters
April 25, 2014
Regulatory Capital Rules
Regulatory Capital, Proposed Revisions to the Supplementary Leverage Ratio
The federal banking agencies have issued the attached joint notice of proposed rulemaking (NPR) that would revise the denominator of the supplementary leverage ratio (total leverage exposure) under the revised regulatory capital rule adopted by the agencies in July 2013 (2013 revised capital rule).
Statement of Applicability to Institutions with Total Assets Under $1 Billion: This Financial Institution Letter applies only to banking organizations subject to the agencies' advanced approaches risk-based capital rules (advanced approaches banking organizations, as defined in the 2013 revised capital rule). In general, the advanced approaches rule defines a core bank as a bank with consolidated total assets of $250 billion or more, consolidated on-balance sheet foreign exposure of $10 billion or more, or a subsidiary of a core bank.
The proposed rule would:
- Align the agencies' rules on the calculation of the denominator of the supplementary leverage ratio (SLR) with international leverage ratio standards.
- Incorporate in total leverage exposure the effective notional amount of credit derivatives and other similar instruments under which credit protection is provided, modify the calculation of total leverage exposure for derivatives and repo-style transactions, and revise the credit conversion factors applied to certain off-balance sheet exposures.
- Change the methodology for calculating the SLR and the public disclosure requirements for the SLR.
- Apply to banking organizations subject to the agencies' advanced approaches risk-based capital rules.
- Seek comment on all aspects of the proposed rule, including its interactions with the final enhanced SLR standards.
- FDIC-Supervised Banks and Savings Associations
- Chief Executive Officer
- Chief Financial Officer
- Chief Risk Officer
- Risk-Based Capital Rules, 12 CFR Part 324, Basel III
- Regulatory Capital Rules: Regulatory Capital, Proposed Revisions to the Supplementary Leverage Ratio - PDF (PDF Help)
- Bobby Bean, Associate Director, Capital Markets Branch, at email@example.com or (202) 898-6705
- Karl Reitz, Chief, Capital Markets Strategies, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (202) 898-6775
- Ryan Billingsley, Chief, Capital Policy, at email@example.com or (202) 898-3797
FDIC Financial Institution Letters (FILs) may be accessed from the FDIC's Web site at www.fdic.gov/news/news/financial/2014/index.html.
To receive FILs electronically, please visit http://www.fdic.gov/about/subscriptions/fil.html.
Paper copies may be obtained through the FDIC's Public Information Center, 3501 Fairfax Drive, E-1002, Arlington, VA 22226 (1-877-275-3342 or 703-562-2200).