Inactive Financial Institution Letters
August 17, 2016
Proposed New Consolidated Reports of Condition and Income for Small Institutions
The banking agencies are requesting comment on a proposed new streamlined and less burdensome version of the Consolidated Reports of Condition and Income (Call Report) for eligible small institutions and proposed burden-reducing revisions to the other two versions of the Call Report. The proposal would define "eligible small institutions" as institutions with total assets less than $1 billion and domestic offices only. The Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council (FFIEC) has approved this proposal as part of its community bank Call Report burden-reduction initiative. The Call Report revisions are proposed to take effect March 31, 2017. Institutions are encouraged to comment on the proposal by October 14, 2016.
Statement of Applicability to Institutions under $1 Billion in Total Assets: This Financial Institution Letter applies to all FDIC-supervised banks and savings associations, including community institutions.
- The proposed new FFIEC 051 Call Report for eligible small institutions is a modified version of the FFIEC 041 Call Report that has been created by:
- Adding a Supplemental Schedule to collect indicator questions and indicator data items on certain complex and specialized activities that replace all or part of six schedules (and other related items) currently included in the FFIEC 041;
- Eliminating data items identified during interagency reviews of existing Call Report data items as no longer necessary for collection from institutions with total assets less than $1 billion and domestic offices only;
- Reducing the frequency of data collection for certain data items identified as needed less often than quarterly from institutions with total assets less than $1 billion and domestic offices only; and
- Removing all data items for which a $1 billion asset-size reporting threshold currently exists.
- A prototype FFIEC 051 Call Report form and a redlined FFIEC 041 report form showing the changes made in creating the proposed new FFIEC 051 are available on the FFIEC's website at http://www.ffiec.gov/forms051.htm.
- For the FFIEC 041 and FFIEC 031 Call Reports, the agencies are proposing to eliminate certain data items and create new or increase existing reporting thresholds for other data items.
- Institutions should review FIL-53-2016 and the agencies' Federal Register notice for further information about the proposed new FFIEC 051 Call Report for eligible small institutions and the proposed changes to the FFIEC 041 and FFIEC 031 Call Reports as well as methods for submitting comments on the proposal.
- FDIC-Supervised Banks (Commercial and Savings) and FDIC-Supervised Savings Associations
- Chief Financial Officer
- Chief Accounting Officer
- Call Report Preparer
- FIL-53-2016, August 15, 2016, Proposed New Consolidated Reports of Condition and Income (Call Report) for Eligible Small Institutions and Other Proposed Call Report Revisions
- FDIC's Data Collection and Analysis Section at 800-688-3342 or firstname.lastname@example.org
FDIC Financial Institution Letters (FILs) may be accessed from the FDIC's website at https://www.fdic.gov/news/news/financial/2016/.
To receive FILs electronically, please visit https://www.fdic.gov/about/subscriptions/fil.html.
Paper copies may be obtained via the FDIC's Public Information Center, 3501 Fairfax Drive, E 1002, Arlington, VA 22226 (877-275-3342 or 703-562-2200).