Deposit Insurance Coverage
Online Deposit Insurance Estimator Now Available in Spanish
The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) is pleased to announce that its Electronic Deposit Insurance Estimator, also known as "Online EDIE," is now available in Spanish on the FDIC's Web site at http://www.fdic.gov/deposit/deposits/. The Spanish language EDIE has the same functionality as the FDIC's widely used English version of Online EDIE.
Online EDIE is a user-friendly Internet application that helps bank customers learn about deposit insurance and calculates the insurance coverage on their deposit accounts at a single FDIC-insured bank or savings association. Online EDIE provides users two options for navigating the system: the "Walk Me Through" option provides users with step-by-step instructions for entering information about their deposit accounts, while the "Calculator" format streamlines the data entry process by allowing users to enter all required information on one screen. After all data are entered, Online EDIE will generate a printable report clearly showing the amount of insurance coverage for those accounts.
The new Spanish language version incorporates updates to Online EDIE made in 2006 in response to changes in FDIC deposit insurance coverage mandated by the Federal Deposit Insurance Reform Act of 2005. The most significant change was the increase in deposit insurance coverage from $100,000 to $250,000 per depositor for Individual Retirement Accounts and certain other retirement accounts.
Spanish language EDIE can calculate deposit insurance coverage for personal and business accounts. Personal accounts include single ownership accounts, individual retirement accounts, joint ownership accounts and straightforward revocable trust accounts. Business accounts are deposit accounts owned by corporations, partnerships and unincorporated associations, including for-profit and not-for-profit organizations.
In addition to Online EDIE, the FDIC provides a number of resources that are designed to help insured institutions train their employees and inform their customers about FDIC deposit insurance coverage. The FDIC encourages all insured financial institutions to take advantage of these free resources. The FDIC deposit insurance resources for consumers and bankers, listed below, are available on the FDIC's Web site at: www.fdic.gov/deposit/deposits/.
- EDIE-Banker Version is a special version of the Electronic Deposit Insurance Estimator developed specifically for use by bank employees who answer depositor questions about FDIC coverage on a frequent basis. Institutions can only obtain this application by downloading it from the FDIC's Web site or ordering the EDIE-Banker Version CD-ROM.
- Overview on Deposit Insurance Coverage is a 27-minute video for bank employees and bank customers that provides an overview of how FDIC deposit insurance works. It focuses on the most common account ownership categories used by individuals and families.
- Seminar on Deposit Insurance Coverage is a 100-minute video targeted to a banker audience. It is a comprehensive presentation on FDIC deposit insurance coverage, describing the rules for coverage in different account ownership categories in detail, with illustrative examples.
- Inventory of Deposit Insurance Guidance is a CD-ROM that contains all of the FDIC's deposit insurance resources for consumers and bankers in one place. This electronic support system is a categorized, searchable source of deposit insurance information.
- Insuring Your Deposits is a consumer brochure that explains the basic and most common ownership categories of insurance, including single accounts, certain retirement accounts, joint accounts and revocable trust accounts. Most depositors will find that this guide satisfies their need for information about FDIC insurance coverage.
- Your Insured Deposits is a consumer brochure that explains in detail the FDIC rules for coverage in all of the different deposit insurance ownership categories (including living trust accounts). It is especially useful for large depositors and customers with specific deposit insurance requirements.
- The Financial Institution Employee's Guide to Deposit Insurance is the FDIC's most comprehensive reference guide on the rules for deposit insurance coverage. This publication contains a detailed discussion of all account ownership categories recognized by the FDIC and provides examples of differing levels of complexity that are not found anywhere else.
For more information about the new Spanish language EDIE or any of the FDIC's deposit insurance resources, contact the FDIC Call Center toll-free at 1-877-275-3342.
Ordering FDIC Deposit Insurance Resources for Consumers and Bankers
Division of Supervision and Consumer Protection