Home > Consumer Protection > Consumer News & Information > FDIC Consumer News - Summer 1999

FDIC Consumer News - Summer 1999

Important Update: Changes in FDIC Deposit Insurance Coverage

The FDIC deposit insurance rules have undergone a series of changes starting in the fall of 2008. As a result, certain previously published information related to FDIC insurance coverage may not reflect the current rules. For details about the changes, visit Changes in FDIC Deposit Insurance Coverage. For more information about FDIC insurance, go to www.fdic.gov/deposit/deposits/index.html or call toll-free 1-877-ASK-FDIC (1-877-275-3342). For the hearing-impaired, the number is 1-800-925-4618.

For more information

computer monitor with phone attached
For questions about consumer or civil rights laws, or complaints involving a specific institution: First attempt to resolve the matter with the institution. If you still need assistance, write to the institution’s primary regulator listed on this page. Although the FDIC insures nearly all banks and savings associations in the United States, the FDIC may not be the primary regulator of a particular institution. For questions about deposit insurance coverage: The FDIC offers protection to consumers by insuring deposits up to $100,000 at federally insured banks and savings associations. For more information, contact the FDIC’s Division of Compliance and Consumer Affairs listed below. The National Credit Union Administration insures deposits up to $100,000 at federally insured credit unions and can be contacted at the address below.

The Five Federal Regulators of Depository Institutions

Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation
Supervises state-chartered
banks that are not members
of the Federal Reserve System. Insures deposits at banks and savings associations.

FDIC 550 17th Street, NW Washington, DC 20429

Home Page: www.fdic.gov


For information about consumer protections, including deposit insurance:

FDIC Division of Compliance
and Consumer Affairs
550 17th Street, NW Washington, DC 20429

Phone: (800) 934-3342 or
(202) 942-3100

Fax:(202) 942-3427 or
(202) 942-3098

E-mail: consumer@fdic.gov


For questions, concerns or complaints about the Federal
Deposit Insurance Corporation:

FDIC Office of the Ombudsman
550 17th Street
, NW
Washington, DC 20429

Phone: (800) 250-9286 or (202) 942-3500

Fax: (202) 942-3040 or
(202) 942-3041

E-mail: ombudsman@fdic.gov


Office of the Comptroller of the Currency
Charters and supervises national banks.

(The word “National” appears in the name
of a national bank, or the initials “N. A.” follow
its name.)

Customer Assistance Unit
1301 McKinney Street
Suite 3710
Houston, TX 77010

Phone: (800) 613-6743
Fax: (713) 336-4301

Home Page: www.occ.gov

E-mail: consumer.assistance@occ.treas.gov

Federal Reserve System
Supervises state-chartered banks that are

members of the Federal Reserve System.

Division of Consumer and Community Affairs
20th Street and Constitution Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20551

Phone: (202) 452-3693

Fax: (202) 728-5850

Home Page: www.federalreserve.gov


National Credit Union Administration
Charters and supervises federal credit unions. Insures deposits at federal credit unions and

many state credit unions.

Office of Public and Congressional Affairs
1775 Duke Street
Alexandria, VA 22314

Phone: (703) 518-6330

Fax: (703) 518-6409

Home Page: www.ncua.gov

E-mail: pacamail@ncua.gov

Office of Thrift Supervision
Supervises federally and state-chartered savings associations plus federally chartered savings banks. (The names generally identify them as savings and loan associations, savings associations or savings banks. Federally chartered savings associations have the word “Federal” or the initials “FSB” or “FA” in their names.)

Consumer Affairs Office
1700 G Street, NW
Washington, DC 20552

Phone: (800) 842-6929 or (202) 906-6237

Home Page: www.ots.treas.gov/

E-mail: consumer.complaint@ots.treas.gov

Some banking matters may involve state laws. For assistance, contact the appropriate state financial institution regulatory agency or state Attorney General listed in your telephone book and other directories.

Previous StoryTable of Contents Next Story
Last Updated 07/28/1999 communications@fdic.gov