Each depositor insured to at least $250,000 per insured bank

Home > Consumer Protection > Consumer News & Information > FDIC Consumer News

FDIC Consumer News

Important Update: Changes in FDIC Deposit Insurance Coverage

The FDIC deposit insurance rules have undergone a series of changes starting in the fall of 2008. As a result, certain previously published information related to FDIC insurance coverage may not reflect the current rules. For details about the changes, visit Changes in FDIC Deposit Insurance Coverage. For more information about FDIC insurance, go to www.fdic.gov/deposit/deposits/index.html or call toll-free 1-877-ASK-FDIC (1-877-275-3342). For the hearing-impaired, the number is 1-800-925-4618.

Winter 2008/2009 – Special Edition: Managing Your Money in Good Times and Bad

Sources of Help and Information on Managing Your Money

The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation has staff and other resources that can answer questions about deposit insurance and banking. If you have a complaint involving an individual institution that you are unable to resolve directly with the institution, you may contact the FDIC or another government regulator for assistance.

Start at www.fdic.gov/quicklinks/consumers.html or call toll-free 1-877-ASK-FDIC (1-877-275-3342). Information specialists are available 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. (Eastern Time), Monday through Friday, and from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Saturday and Sunday.

FDIC publications, including our quarterly FDIC Consumer News, are available at that same Web site and upon request (by calling that same telephone number and selecting the option for "FDIC publications"). You can also e-mail us using the Customer Assistance Form at www2.fdic.gov/starsmail or send a letter to the FDIC, Division of Supervision and Consumer Protection, 550 17th Street, NW, Washington, DC 20429-9990.

Other federal, state and local government agencies also publish consumer information and have staff, Web sites and other resources that can help answer questions on financial matters.

Start at www.mymoney.gov, the federal government's central Web site about managing your money. Its tips from the FDIC and other government agencies include suggestions for dealing with job loss, mortgage problems and other financial concerns during difficult times.

For additional information from the U.S. government on money management, go to www.usa.gov/Citizen/Topics/Money_Taxes.shtml or call toll-free 1-800-FEDINFO (1-800-333-4636).

You may also find additional information or assistance at your state or local government's Web site or by calling a consumer affairs office listed in the government pages of your phone book.

Financial institutions, consumer organizations and the news media also publish personal finance tips you can find by searching the Internet.

Previous Story Table of Contents

Last Updated 5/26/2009