Home > Consumer Protection > Consumer News & Information > FDIC Consumer News - Winter 2001/2002

FDIC Consumer News - Winter 2001/2002

Important Update: Changes in FDIC Deposit Insurance Coverage

The FDIC deposit insurance rules have undergone a series of changes starting in the fall of 2008. As a result, certain previously published information related to FDIC insurance coverage may not reflect the current rules. For details about the changes, visit Changes in FDIC Deposit Insurance Coverage. For more information about FDIC insurance, go to www.fdic.gov/deposit/deposits/index.html or call toll-free 1-877-ASK-FDIC (1-877-275-3342). For the hearing-impaired, the number is 1-800-925-4618.

Image representing ways to communicate: telephone handset, closed envelopes and computer monitor and CPUFor More Information

The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation insures deposits up to $100,000 at banks and savings associations, and supervises state-chartered banks that are not members of the Federal Reserve System. The FDIC's services include a toll-free consumer assistance line, answers to written questions, and informational material. Toll-free phone: (877) ASK-FDIC or (877) 275-3342. The phone line is staffed Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., Eastern Time. Recorded information is available 24 hours a day. The toll-free TTY number for hearing-impaired consumers is (800) 925-4618. Mail: 3501 N. Fairfax Drive, Arlington, VA 22226.

For questions about deposit insurance coverage: Contact the FDIC's Division of Compliance and Consumer Affairs at the address and phone numbers above, by fax to (202) 942-3098, or by e-mail using the Customer Assistance Form on the Internet. The National Credit Union Administration (listed below) insures deposits up to $100,000 at federally insured credit unions.

For questions about consumer or civil rights laws, or complaints involving a specific institution: First attempt to resolve the matter with the institution. If you still need assistance, write to the institution's primary regulator listed on this page. Although the FDIC insures nearly all banks and savings associations in the United States, the FDIC may not be the primary regulator of a particular institution. Other regulators are listed below. To submit a complaint about an FDIC-supervised institution, contact the FDIC Division of Compliance and Consumer Affairs as listed above. For inquiries involving problems or complaints related to the FDIC, contact the FDIC Office of the Ombudsman at the mailing address and phone numbers listed above, by fax to (202) 942-3040, or by e-mail to ombudsman@fdic.gov.

The Federal Reserve System supervises state-chartered banks that are members of the Federal Reserve System. Phone: (202) 452-3693. Fax: (202) 728-5850. Mail: Division of Consumer and Community Affairs, 20th Street and Constitution Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20551.

The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency charters and supervises national banks. (The word "National" appears in the name of a national bank, or the initials "N. A." follow its name.) Phone: (800) 613-6743. Fax: (713) 336-4301. E-mail: consumer.assistance@occ.treas.gov. Mail: Customer Assistance Group, 1301 McKinney Street, Suite 3710, Houston, TX 77010.

The Office of Thrift Supervision supervises federally and state-chartered savings associations plus federally chartered savings banks. (The names generally identify them as savings and loan associations, savings associations or savings banks. Federally chartered savings associations have the word "Federal" or the initials "FSB" or "FA" in their names.) Phone: (800) 842-6929 or (202) 906-6237. E-mail: consumer.complaint@ots.treas.gov. Mail: Consumer Affairs Office, 1700 G Street, NW, Washington, DC 20552.

The National Credit Union Administration charters and supervises federal credit unions, and insures deposits at federal credit unions and many state credit unions. Phone: (703) 518-6330. Fax: (703) 518-6409. E-mail: pacamail@ncua.gov. Mail: Office of Public and Congressional Affairs, 1775 Duke Street, Alexandria, VA 22314.

Your state government also may offer assistance and publish useful information. Contact your state's Attorney General's office, consumer protection office or financial institution regulatory agency as listed in your phone book or other directories, or visit your state's official Web site.

Previous StoryTable of Contents  

Last Updated 03/05/02 communications@fdic.gov