Each depositor insured to at least $250,000 per insured bank

Home > Consumer Protection > Consumer News & Information > FDIC Consumer News

FDIC Consumer News

Important Update: Changes in FDIC Deposit Insurance Coverage

The FDIC deposit insurance rules have undergone a series of changes starting in the fall of 2008. As a result, certain previously published information related to FDIC insurance coverage may not reflect the current rules. For details about the changes, visit Changes in FDIC Deposit Insurance Coverage. For more information about FDIC insurance, go to www.fdic.gov/deposit/deposits/index.html or call toll-free 1-877-ASK-FDIC (1-877-275-3342). For the hearing-impaired, the number is 1-800-925-4618.

Summer 2006 – Start Smart: Money Management for Teens

Gift Cards Are Great But Beware of Risks and Costs

You probably love getting gift cards for your birthday or other occasions so you can pick out exactly what you want at the store. Gift cards also are easy to buy and give to friends and relatives because they're widely available at stores and even at banks. But while gift cards may seem to be the perfect gift, they also can come with potential risks and costs. Whether you're giving or receiving a gift card, remember this:

Watch out for fees. You may be charged a fee for purchasing a gift card. You also may have fees deducted each time you use the card at a store or restaurant. Or, you may be charged fees for not using the card, perhaps $1 or more each month after going a year or so without making a purchase. "When a fee is deducted, that's less money for you to spend," said Janet Kincaid, FDIC Senior Consumer Affairs Officer.

Find out if there is an expiration date. "Gift cards aren't exactly like cash—they usually can't be used indefinitely," advised Kincaid. "You don't want to put gift cards away and forget about them because, if you let them expire, you could lose the entire balance on the card."

Immediately report a lost or stolen gift card to the card issuer. Some companies will replace a lost card (for a fee), others may not.

If you have a problem with a gift card that you can't solve by talking to a store employee, consider contacting your state government's consumer protection office, which will be listed in your local phone book or other directories.

Previous Story Table of Contents Next Story

Last Updated 08/18/2006