Each depositor insured to at least $250,000 per insured bank

Home > Industry Analysis > Failed Banks > Assignment of a Real Estate Lien

Assignment of a Real Estate Lien

En Español

To obtain an assignment of lien on Homes, Buildings, Improved or Unimproved Land, Mechanic's Liens please provide us with the following required document(s):
  • A copy of the Mortgage or Deed of Trust Document that you are requesting to be assigned. The copy must be readable and clearly show the recording information. This document can be obtained from the Public Records in the County where the property is located or from your title company or title attorney.
  • Copies of any subsequent assignments that show the chain of title leading to an FDIC receivership.
  • Proof that the party to whom the assignment is being made is the current holder of the mortgage. Proof can be in the form of a Note Endorsement, Loan History, Sales Contract or Indemnification Agreement.

  • If the lien holder of record is not a Bank or Savings and Loan that failed and has been placed in FDIC receivership, please provide copies of any and all assignments that show the chain of title leading to an FDIC receivership.

  • Due to the Privacy Act of 1974, the FDIC will not accept a copy of the borrower’s credit report as proof of payoff. PLEASE DO NOT INCLUDE ANY SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBERS WHEN SUBMITTING YOUR REQUEST.

Processing fees for release of Real Estate Liens and Assignments:

  • Please be advised that a processing fee of $50 ($25.00 for each duplicate) will be billed for each release of lien or assignment processed. This fee is for services provided by the Federal Deposits Insurance Corporation (FDIC) to process and research the release document. An invoice for this amount will be included with your release of lien or assignment document along with a self-addressed return envelope. Upon receipt of your release of lien, please remit your payment to the address shown on the invoice or on the self-addressed return envelope. Please do not send the processing fee prior to receipt of your release of lien.
It is highly suggested you also provide the following documents, if available:
  • A copy of a recent Title Search or Title Commitment, or Attorney's Title Opinion on the property for which you are requesting an assignment showing the breaks in the chain of title. This is especially helpful in cases where the Mortgage documents are of poor quality and hard to read. Your Title Company or Title Attorney can usually provide you with this.

A request for a Release of Lien must be made in writing.

Mail, email or fax your request with the required documentation to the appropriate DRR Customer Service Center. Please do not do both. Hard to read documents should be mailed or sent overnight, rather than faxed. Unreadable documents cannot be processed. To avoid any duplication, please submit your request only once.

Be sure to include your address and phone number with your written request.

Please allow 20 business days for the completion of your request.

If you have any questions you may call the appropriate DRR Customer Service Center toll-free. A Customer Service Representative will be happy to answer your questions, OR, refer to our Frequently Asked Questions.

Back to How To Obtain a Lien Release

Last Updated 09/12/2013 cservicefdicdal@fdic.gov