Beware of Mortgage Rescue Scams
Warning Signs That You May Be Dealing With A Mortgage Foreclosure and Loan Modification Scam Operator
If The Company:
- Demands a fee in advance. No legitimate organization that works with borrowers to avoid foreclosure will ever ask for money up front.
- Makes unsolicited offers or “lofty” advertisements, claiming they can help save your home.
- Offers to negotiate a loan modification for a fee.
- Recommends you break off contact with the lender and any counselor that you may have been working with.
- Advises you to stop making mortgage payments.
- Tells you to send your mortgage payment to anyone other than your loan servicer.
- Instructs you to transfer ownership of your property.
- Makes verbal promises that aren’t put in writing.
- Asks you to sign a document that has blank lines or spaces.