Skip Header
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

II. Performance Results Summary

Previous | Contents | Next

Summary of 2018 Performance Results by Program

The FDIC successfully achieved 26 of the 37 annual performance targets established in its 2018 Annual Performance Plan. Seven of the targets were not applicable since there were no bank failures in 2018. Two targets were substantially achieved, which involved conducting consumer compliance and CRA examinations and implementing corrective programs within timeframes established by FDIC policy. Two targets were not met, which involved finalizing rulemaking in regard to regulatory capital standards. There were no instances in which 2018 performance had a material adverse effect on the successful achievement of the FDIC’s mission or its strategic goals and objectives regarding its major program responsibilities.

Additional key accomplishments are noted below.

Summary of 2018 Performance Results by Program
Program Area Performance Results
  • Updated the FDIC Board of Directors on loss, income, and reserve ratio projections for the Deposit Insurance Fund (DIF) at the March and December meetings.
  • Briefed the FDIC Board of Directors in March and December on progress in meeting the goals of the Restoration Plan.
  • Completed reviews of the recent accuracy of the contingent loss reserve.
  • Researched and analyzed emerging risks and trends in the banking sector, financial markets, and the overall economy to identify issues affecting the banking industry and the DIF.
  • Provided policy research and analysis to FDIC leadership in support of the implementation of financial industry regulation, as well as support for testimony and speeches.
  • Published economic and banking information and analyses through the FDIC Quarterly, FDIC Quarterly Banking Profile (QBP), FDIC State Profiles, Perspectives, and the Center for Financial Research Working Papers .
  • Operated the Electronic Deposit Insurance Estimator (EDIE), which had 777,655 user sessions in 2018.
  • A total of 398 institutions were assigned a composite CAMELS rating of 2 and had Matters Requiring Board Attention (MRBAs) identified in the examination reports. To ensure that MRBAs are being appropriately addressed at these institutions, the FDIC timely reviews progress reports and follows up with bank management as needed. More specifically, within six months of issuing the examination reports, the FDIC conducted appropriate follow up and review of these MRBAs at 383 (96 percent) of these institutions. Follow up and review of the MRBAs at the remaining 15 institutions (4 percent) occurred more than six months after issuing the examination reports primarily due to delayed responses from some banks as well as the need for additional information in order to complete a full review.
  • Participated on the examinations of selected financial institutions, for which the FDIC is not the primary federal regulator, to assess risk to the DIF.
  • Implemented the strategy outlined in the work plan approved by the Advisory Committee on Economic Inclusion to support the expanded availability of Safe Accounts and the responsible use of technology, to expand banking services to the underbanked.
Receivership Management
  • Terminated at least 75 percent of new receiverships that are not subject to loss-share agreements, structured sales, or other legal impediments, within three years of the date of failure.
  • Continued to enhance the FDIC's ability to administer deposit insurance claims at large insured deposit institutions.
  • Evaluated within 120 days all termination offers from Limited Liability Corporation (LLC) managing members to determine whether to pursue dissolution of those LLCs that are determined to be in the best overall economic interest of the participating receiverships.


Previous | Contents | Next