II. Performance Results Summary
SUMMARY OF 2017 PERFORMANCE RESULTS BY PROGRAM
The FDIC successfully achieved 35 of the 36 annual performance targets established in its 2017 Annual Performance Plan. One target was not achieved: Issue a final rule implementing the Basel III Net Stable Funding Ratio. The rulemaking is subject to interagency negotiations and a final rule has not yet been issued. There were no instances in which 2017 performance had a material adverse effect on the successful achievement of the FDIC’s mission or its strategic goals and objectives regarding its major program responsibilities.
Additional key accomplishments are noted below.
- Updated the FDIC Board of Directors on loss, income, and reserve ratio projections for the Deposit Insurance Fund (DIF) at the March and September meetings.
- Briefed the FDIC Board of Directors in March and September on progress in meeting the goals of the Restoration Plan.
- Completed reviews of the recent accuracy of the contingent loss reserve.
- Researched and analyzed emerging risks and trends in the banking sector, financial markets, and the overall economy to identify issues affecting the banking industry and the DIF.
- Provided policy research and analysis to FDIC leadership in support of the implementation of financial industry regulation, as well as support for testimony and speeches.
- Published economic and banking information and analyses through the FDIC Quarterly, FDIC Quarterly Banking Profile (QBP), FDIC State Profiles, and the Center for Financial Research Working Papers.
- Operated the Electronic Deposit Insurance Estimator (EDIE), which had 687,913 user sessions in 2017.
- A total of 396 institutions were assigned a composite CAMELS rating of 2 and had Matters Requiring Board Attention (MRBAs) identified in the examination reports. To ensure that MRBAs are being appropriately addressed at these institutions, the FDIC timely reviews progress reports and follows up with bank management as needed. More specifically, within six months of issuing the examination reports, the FDIC conducted appropriate follow up and review of these MRBAs at 375 (95 percent) of these institutions. Follow up and review of the MRBAs at the remaining 21 institutions (5 percent) occurred more than six months after issuing the examination reports primarily due to delayed responses from some banks as well as the need for additional information in order to complete a full review.
- Participated on the examinations of selected financial institutions, for which the FDIC is not the primary federal regulator, to assess risk to the DIF.
- Implemented the strategy outlined in the work plan approved by the Advisory Committee on Economic Inclusion to support the expanded availability of Safe Accounts and the responsible use of technology, to expand banking services to the underbanked.
- Published an edition of Supervisory Insights in the summer of 2017 that included two articles – one that discusses the importance of liquidity risk management as many institutions continue to reduce holdings of liquid assets, and a second that describes the purpose, development, and changes to the Bank Secrecy Act (BSA) over the years as well as an overview of the BSA examination process. The Winter 2016 publication included an article that identifies trends in credit risk in commercial real estate, agriculture, and oil and gas-related lending.
- Terminated at least 75 percent of new receiverships that are not subject to loss-share agreements, structured sales, or other legal impediments, within three years of the date of failure.
- Continued to enhance the FDIC’s ability to administer deposit insurance claims at large insured deposit institutions.
- Evaluated within 120 days all termination offers from Limited Liability Corporation (LLC) managing members to determine whether to pursue dissolution of those LLCs that are determined to be in the best overall economic interest of the participating receiverships.