- The federal banking agencies have amended their CRA regulations to publish an increase in the asset-size threshold to be used to define "small bank" and "intermediate small bank." The increase is based on the annual percentage change in the Consumer Price Index (CPI).
- As a result of the 2.7 percent increase in the CPI for the period ending in November 2007, the definitions of small and intermediate small banks for CRA examinations have changed as follows:
- "Small bank" or "small savings association" means a bank that, as of December 31 of either of the prior two calendar years, had assets of less than $1.061 billion.
- "Intermediate small bank" or "intermediate small savings association" means a small bank with assets of at least $265 million as of December 31 of both of the prior two calendar years, and less than $1.061 billion as of December 31 of either of the prior two calendar years.
- These asset-size threshold adjustments took effect on January 1, 2008.
- The final rule also revised the paragraph headings found at 12 C.F.R. § 345.26 ("Small banks with assets of less than $250 million"). As a result of the annual adjustments to the dollar amount threshold for small institutions, the threshold of $250 million described in the paragraph heading is inaccurate.
- Current and historical asset-size thresholds are published on the Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council's Web site at www.ffiec.gov/cra/.
FDIC-Supervised Banks (Commercial and Savings)
Chief Executive Officers
Community Reinvestment Act
Joint Final Rule - PDF (PDF Help)
Deirdre Foley, Senior Policy Analyst, Compliance Policy
Section, firstname.lastname@example.org or (202) 898-6612; or Susan van
den Toorn, Counsel, email@example.com or (202) 898-
FIL-18-2008 - PDF (PDF Help)
FDIC financial institution letters (FILs) may be accessed from
the FDIC's Web site at
To receive FILs electronically, please visit
Paper copies of FDIC financial institution letters may be
obtained through the FDIC's Public Information Center, 3501
Fairfax Drive, E-1002, Arlington, VA 22226 (1-877-275-3342