Each depositor insured to at least $250,000 per insured bank

Home > Consumer Protection > Consumer News & Information > FDIC Consumer News

FDIC Consumer News

Important Update: Changes in FDIC Deposit Insurance Coverage

The FDIC deposit insurance rules have undergone a series of changes starting in the fall of 2008. As a result, certain previously published information related to FDIC insurance coverage may not reflect the current rules. For details about the changes, visit Changes in FDIC Deposit Insurance Coverage. For more information about FDIC insurance, go to www.fdic.gov/deposit/deposits/index.html or call toll-free 1-877-ASK-FDIC (1-877-275-3342). For the hearing-impaired, the number is 1-800-925-4618.

Winter 2011/2012

More Help for Small Businesses

The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) provides loan guarantees, referrals to local free or low-cost counseling and training, tips on how to write a business plan, and other support for small businesses. For more information, call the SBA toll-free at 1-800-827-5722, go to www.sba.gov or contact the SBA District Office in your area.

The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation has a toll-free hotline (1-855-FDIC-BIZ, which is 1-855-334-2249) to respond to questions or concerns about credit availability for small businesses. We also have useful information at www.fdic.gov/smallbusiness (including an online form to ask the FDIC a question or register a concern) and at www.fdic.gov/about/diversity/sbrp. For information on FDIC deposit insurance coverage or other matters of interest, start at www.fdic.gov or call toll-free 1-877-ASK-FDIC (1-877-275-3342). Also watch for a new FDIC financial education curriculum for small business owners (www.fdic.gov/moneysmart).

Other federal agencies also have resources to help small businesses. For example, the U.S. Treasury Department oversees several programs, including the Small Business Lending Fund, which was created by Congress in 2010 for use by small “community” banks (start at www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sb-programs/Pages/default.aspx). For more help or information from the federal government, search by topic at www.mymoney.gov or call 1-888-MYMONEY (1-888-696-6639).

Your state, county or city government may offer its own financial aid packages and referrals to other sources of assistance.

Your bank and other financial institutions in your area may offer services for small businesses and useful information.

Previous Story Table of Contents Next Story

Last Updated 2/21/2012