Each depositor insured to at least $250,000 per insured bank

Home > Consumer Protection > Consumer News & Information > FDIC Consumer News

FDIC Consumer News
Important Update: Changes in FDIC Deposit Insurance Coverage

The FDIC deposit insurance rules have undergone a series of changes starting in the fall of 2008. As a result, certain previously published information related to FDIC insurance coverage may not reflect the current rules. For details about the changes, visit Changes in FDIC Deposit Insurance Coverage. For more information about FDIC insurance, go to www.fdic.gov/deposit/deposits/index.html or call toll-free 1-877-ASK-FDIC (1-877-275-3342). For the hearing-impaired, the number is 1-800-925-4618.

Winter 2006/2007 – Special Edition: Be Prepared, Be Informed, Be in Charge

5 Sources You Can Turn to...

For More Help or Information on Managing Your Money

1. The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation: The FDIC offers a variety of assistance to help consumers understand how to handle their money and resolve complaints. Start at www.fdic.gov/quicklinks/consumers.html or call toll-free 1-877-ASK-FDIC (1-877-275-3342). Back issues of our quarterly FDIC Consumer News and articles referenced in this special guide are available at that same Web site or upon request from our Public Information Center at the same phone number as above. To send a question to the FDIC, e-mail us using the Customer Assistance Form at www2.fdic.gov/starsmail/index.asp or send a letter to the FDIC, Division of Supervision and Consumer Protection, 550 17th Street, NW, Washington, DC 20429-9990.

2. Other federal regulators of financial institutions: In addition to the FDIC, there are other federal agencies that publish consumer information and have staff, Web sites and other resources that can help answer questions on financial matters. A good place to start is www.mymoney.gov, the federal government's central Web site about managing your money. It is a service of the interagency Financial Literacy and Education Commission, of which the FDIC is a partner.

3. The Federal Citizen Information Center (FCIC): Perhaps best known for its information clearinghouse based in Pueblo, Colorado, the FCIC helps answer questions on everyday issues. For example, the FCIC can direct you to the appropriate federal government agency that can respond to a question or complaint. It also features consumer news and information from the government, including the Consumer Action Handbook, a free guide to being a smart shopper and resolving problems and complaints. Start at www.usa.gov and click on “consumer guides” or call toll-free 1-800-FEDINFO (1-800-333-4636).

4. Other federal, state and local government agencies: Many of them publish consumer information, offer financial education classes and help answer questions on money matters. Start by going to your state or local government's Web site. Or, call a consumer protection office listed in the government pages of your phone book or other directories.

5. Other financial and consumer Web sites: FDIC-insured banks, other financial institutions, consumer organizations and the news media publish personal finance tips you can find searching the Internet.

Previous Story Table of ContentsNext Story

Last Updated 1/29/2006 communications@fdic.gov