Each depositor insured to at least $250,000 per insured bank

Home > Consumer Protection > Consumer News & Information > FDIC Consumer News

FDIC Consumer News

Important Update: Changes in FDIC Deposit Insurance Coverage

The FDIC deposit insurance rules have undergone a series of changes starting in the fall of 2008. As a result, certain previously published information related to FDIC insurance coverage may not reflect the current rules. For details about the changes, visit Changes in FDIC Deposit Insurance Coverage. For more information about FDIC insurance, go to www.fdic.gov/deposit/deposits/index.html or call toll-free 1-877-ASK-FDIC (1-877-275-3342). For the hearing-impaired, the number is 1-800-925-4618.

Fall 2007

For More Help or Information on Home Loans

The FDIC publishes consumer information and has other resources that can help answer questions on home loans and related matters. Start at www.fdic.gov/quicklinks/consumers.html or call toll-free 1-877-275-3342. To send a question, e-mail us at www2.fdic.gov/starsmail or send a letter to the FDIC, Division of Supervision and Consumer Protection, 550 17th Street, NW, Washington, DC 20429-9990.

Other federal agencies also publish consumer information and respond to inquiries and complaints. A good place to start is www.mymoney.gov. Click on the "credit" section to read useful information from banking regulators, the Federal Trade Commission, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and other government agencies on topics such as building a better credit record and shopping for a home loan.

If you are having problems paying your mortgage, HUD's Web site at www.hud.gov/offices/hsg/sfh/econ/econ.cfm provides information to help borrowers avoid foreclosure and keep their homes. The FDIC and other financial regulators also are encouraging borrowers facing payment problems to talk to their lenders as soon as possible, and to consider getting help early from a reputable housing counselor by contacting HUD (1-800-569-4287 or www.hud.gov/offices/hsg/sfh/hcc/hcs.cfm) or the Homeownership Preservation Foundation (1-888-995-4673 or www.995hope.org).

State and local government agencies also publish consumer information and help answer questions about home loans and lenders. Go to your state or local government's Web site or call a consumer protection office listed in your phone book or other directories.

Military personnel and their families can find out about special loan assistance programs by checking with the Department of Veterans Affairs (online at www.homeloans.va.gov/index.htm) and their state government.

Previous Story Table of Contents Next Story

Last Updated 11/08/2007